Mannlicher-Schoenauer

tahoe2

Are these guns that much better than all the rest, they always seem to be so high priced compared to others. I'm talking about the ones with the "butter-knife" bolt handle that is in the middle of the bolt rather than closer to the rear, and the full length stock.
I love the look and the feel of those carbines.

Better?
They are light, handy, and stylish.

You can get light and handy, more powerful and more accurate, with modern designs.

Style is harder to find.

IMHO, nobody's ever felt a perfect fit/finish until they experience the detaching and reseating a Mannlicher-Schoenauer's rotary magazine.

The fit is extrodinarily close, yet smooooooth to operate.

Very few guns can even come close to their quality.

When they were common, the style (especially that cute schnabel tip foreend and the "butterknife" bolt handle) got customers all excited. They were a perfect example of style and workmanship covering a basically poor and obsolete design.

Jim

I have a couple of those Steyr (MS) rifles. I have shot the 30-06 and it did well. Then I took the scope off of it to put on another rifle.

It's the 'rifle' size which is a big and heavy rifle.

The 30-06 rifle is the top one and the one below is a .358 W. carbine.

8fm3.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks Savage!

The 'butter knife' bolt handle came to my attention in one of Stephen Hunter books, "The Master Sniper".

You've got a NICE collection.

The are representatives of a different era of hunting

The fit and finish on them are superb. They are accurate and easy to shoot well. They also did it with cartridges that are mostly obsolete nowadays.
They are extremely collectable and highly sought after.
You could do a lot worse.

They are definitely purdy, I am currently building a Spanish mauser in 7x57,
with a walnut Mannlicher stock, and a 20" lightweight contour sporter barrel.
So this will be a cheap interpretation of the light, handy, fully stocked, carbine in a proven,
albeit almost extinct cartridge; the 7x57 mauser , I love the performance of the 7mm mauser,
good to 350 yards, which is farther than I will ever shoot in the thick woods of western WA.

Nothing wrong with the 7x57 and in a Mannlicher style rifle? OUTSTANDING! :D
Ruger made their M77RSI in 7x57 but apparently in a rather limited amount. I've been wanting one but prices are to far above my level to pay. No matter. I have three, a Ruger #1A, Winchester M70 FWT and a custom FN Mauser 98 with the European style stock with schnable just like M70 FWT.
I did see a Mannlicher-Schoenaur at a gun show in 7x57 and the price was almost in the mid 4 figures.
Paul B.

Yeah I like those 77 RSI's too, and they are out of my price range also! I don't really care for the RSI's in the No#1,
but I do like the standard No#1's and the Tropical too.:D

Back