Manifesto of a Revolver convert...

Red Label

I have become a convert to the "old" ways.

Ever since I was a kid I have preferred "modern" semi-auto handguns over the [to me] relics of the past that are revolvers. Much to the chagrin of my dad who has collected and shot black powder revolvers (mostly Colt-Walkers ala Jose Wales) since before I was born. It was my great ancestor who was the Walker part of the Colt company.

Last month it all began to change. I bought my first revolver since becoming an adult (I am 33, but kind of got away from guns for the past 15 years). It is just a simple, "lowly" Taurus M44. But it is the only handgun that I wanna shoot anymore. I was a 1911-nut. But now I don't even pick mine up anymore. Nor do I pick up any of my other semi-auto guns (pistol or rifle) muh anymore. Right now, just my pump 12 gauge and the .44 mag.

I REALLY wanted an AR 15 just months ago. Now I find that I want more revolvers, and when I get somewhat satisfied with those, then I intend to go lever-action rifle (probably the Marlin 45-70).

Screw modern firearms and all their jams and reliability issues! I'd rather pack my .44 with 6 shots that will do their job without question if I place them right, than any spray and pray semi with a 15-shot mag.

To each his own... no offense intended if you are into the semi-auto stuff. But I feel as though I am finally "coming home" to the way of doing things that is in my blood and heritage (though I haven't yet made the plunge to cap and ball revolvers). If I feel this way for much longer, I will trade away my semi-autos to finance more of the good old guns... :)

Welcome Home Red Label!!

After a while, you will get over these new-fangled double action pistols and return to six-guns the way the Good Lord and Colonel Colt intended them to be, Single Action. Then we'll really have a Homecoming Party! :D

When you are shopping for your first lever-action rifle, let me suggest you take time to examine some of the fine single-shots available. Ruger No. 1's and No.3's are probably the best of the bunch, but Browning's High- and Low-Wall rifles are good shooters also. Of course if you want to go with Blackpowder Cartridge Rifles, Sharps reproductions and Rolling Blocks offer some great choices.

Regards,
Doc Hudson

If you like the finer things in life, for a lever action rifle take a look at one of the Uberti-made copies of the Winchester 1873. I've got a 24" rifle with a fantastic color casehardened receiver that rivals a Colt SAA. As far as looks go, it's the most attractive rifle I've ever owned. And surprisingly, it's a great shooter. There's just a certain cachet to the '73 that draws attention.

eventually they all see the light,,,,,, :)

Six 240 gr .44's or six 250 gr .45LC's trump just about anything.

Hang on to those semi autos though. They may be tougher to get in the future.

Give your 1911s a good home!!

I too love revolvers. However, in today's climate of handgun intolerance you can't in good conscience abandon your 1911s. Send them to me - I assure you that I'll give them and good home and treat them as if they were my own. If you like, I'll even send you pictures from time to time!
:D :D :D

Revolver facts

When you look up "reliable" in the dictionary there is a picture of a wheelgun.

Back in the mid-twentieth century, when men were still men, the hero who carried an auto was the Phantom. He also lived in a cave and had a skull fetish problem.

Until autopistols, a "stovepipe" was something that carried the smoke out of the kitchen.

Much of the modern advancement in autopistol ammo design has been to provide the energy the .357 and .44 mag revolvers had over 50 years ago.

Double action has been a feature of revolvers for over 100 years.

Howsomeever, I am partial to single actions in all their variety, and would be more than willing to help take some of the burden off Bullshooter in caring for any orphaned 1911's that might need a stable home environment. :D

Ahhh guys... that's SO kind of you to offer to relieve me of the burden of 1911 ownership. I think I will probably keep 'em for now. I was really into revolvers on the day I posted this. I am a little more "balanced" today -- but I still remain convinced that REVOLVERS RULE!

Also... I too am starting to lust after the good ole single action six gun that won the west. I find myself drooling over the nickel plated .45 LC section as much as I do the double action .454s and .44 mags. My dad would be proud.

Ain't it great living in America? So much choice...

Didn't Dick Tracey also carry a 1911 early in his cartoon "career"?

I know at one time he was carrying a snubnosed revolver of some type...

Although I too love the DA revolver, the K-frames in particular, I do lust after a nice SA .45LC.

It'd be nice to have the Colt SAA, as far as authenticity and all, but the price tag is ridiculous. It's not even a shooting piece any more, rather, a blue chip investment.

If/When I buy an SA, I'll probably go with the Ruger Vaquero.
Tough as nails, but still retains the classic profile of the SAA.

If I don't get the .45, I'll likely get the .357, as most of my revolvers are .38s/.357s and it'd be one less caliber to reload.

You're right, revolvers do rule!!!

-Kframe

Back