Manhurin PP .32ACP (gun of the day)

johnwill

Here's a nice PP from right after the war, when Germany wasn't allowed to manufacture firearms. They licensed Manhurin in France to make the PP for a few years, and this is the result.

73767_Manhurin_PP_.32ACP.jpg

Starting in '53. Manhurin was making parts for the PP series all the way up to 1986. They were shipped to Walther for roll marking, fitting, finishing and final assembly. Walther also produced their own at this time as well.

I'm not certain when the Manhurin name was dropped from the P.38 and PP series.

Good looking example. Have fun>:)

MANURHIN (FRANCE)
Manufacture de Machines du Haut-Rhin of Mulhouse, a renowned machine-too maker, has made a particular speciality of ammunition-makeing machinery. In the early 1950's, Manurhin acquired a licence to mfg Walther PP & PPK pistols. Identical with the original Walther products. These could be distinguished only by MANUFACTURE DE MACHINES DU HAUT-RHIN on the seft front of the slide and LIC EXCL. Walther, with model and caliber, on the left rear. The grips had MANURHIN moulded into the upper part and LIC. EXCL. WALTHER in the lowere portion. PP & PPK models were made in .22LR, 7.65mm Auto and 9mm Short, (.380) In addition a long barrelled .22 PP Sport was also mfg'd.

French made Walthers were sold in the USA by the Thalson Import company of San Francisco in the early 1950's. The agency subsequently transferred to Interarms, though the latter's guns had the Walther trade mark on the slide with the words MARK II underneath. The legend MADE IN FRANCE lay on the seft rear of the slide. PP & PPK models were both imported as MARK II though differing little from the Thalson versions.

Manurhin continued to make the PP & PPK under contract to Walther until the middle 1960's partly owing to the duration of the original licensing agreement and partly owing to Walther's reluctance to open a duplicate production line in ULM. French made Walter marked guns cannot be distinguished from the sbsequent Ulm made examples.

HJN

It's interesting that the quality of my little PP doesn't seem to give anything up to the German manufactured pistols, it has very nice fit & finish. This is one of the pistols that AIM was selling a while back, I thought they were a good deal at $249 for the selected model in the box with two magazines.

Thalson 22 short

My father left me this little 6 shot Thalson revolver, white grips with the round Thalson logo on either side. Say's made in Germany on the barrell. The strange thing about the gun is on the outside of the cylinder there is a engraved symbol that when magnified, ( I used a jewelers monickle) it looks like a 1/2 moon laying on it's back with a starburst around the radius with a capitol N punched under it. The N is 1/2 the size of this text. Outside chance of that meaning something to anyone? This gun fits in the palm of your hand and the ball bearing's in the cylinder click to perfection.

Interarms imported Manurhin PPK/s's in the early 1980's for $265 in 22 long rifle and 380 acp. I bought one of each and for some crazy reason got rid of the 380. I still have the 22 long rifle. they were both good shooters

Hi, greg_neises,

That "half moon" is a representation of a deer antler. It is the proof mark of the Ulm proof house.

Thalson imported some high quality guns but also some of lesser quality like that little revolver. They sold for around $10-12 dollars in the 1950's and fell into the "Saturday Night Special" category. If yours works, fine, but they are not very durable and if something breaks there may be no parts available. I am sure yours has sentimental value, but its dollar value is quite low, under $50.

Jim

Back