Malfunctioned SIG P220

thequickad

I never would have believed it. A non-functioning SIG P220. But there it was, the decocker works, but the trigger doesn't. Something is preventing the hammer from moving beyond the safety intercept of the decocking level. Pull the trigger and it stops right at the decocker intercept as if it was just decocked. Has anyone seen this?

New one on me. Unless you have a good 'smith handy, I'd send that puppy back to the factory.

Giz

------------------
Vote Democratic! 1 Billion Chinese can't be wrong......

Never seen that one either....

4V50 Gary is a SIG armorer...maybe he know's what the problem is. Otherwise, send it to SIG and get it fixed.

Mike

defintely going back to the factory since I couldn't figure out why. Never happened to me before. Especially on a new 220. Kind of disappointing.

When you get the gun back, I'd be very interested in knowing the cause of the malfunction. I would suspect the problem lies in the interaction between trigger bar and safety lever, but am surprised to hear of this occurring in a new pistol.

Sounds like the trigger bar spring may be
broken or was put in the wrong place. Check this by taking the right sige grip plate off.
The spring should be like the upper part
of the letter "D" with the long end (right)
inserted into the frame hole and the short
curved end inserted into the trigger bar in the indent on the left lower leg of the trigger bar. ( yeah its wordy, I know )Also
the newer models have had a trigger reset spring included in the mix. If it does
check in the area behind the hammer to see if
it is working. Out side of this I would have an armorer check the fit of the internal parts. Is this a new one or do you think
you bought someone else's cast off?

Also if it has been nickled; I have seen the
tolorence be so tight on these that the hammer ( trigger ) will not reset.

[This message has been edited by bobo (edited November 01, 1999).]

Just to keep you all informed. the P220 will go to the gunsmith for a pre-look this weekend before it gets send back to the factory. I will clue you in as to why it behaved this way. It is a brand new SIG only fired twice. First time in the range it worked fine and I only use factory loads (in this case Federal American Eagle).

I think I will stick with Glocks for reliability.

I will take the SIG off your hands if you don't want it. I will give you enough so that you can buy a Glock.

Was the gun recently plated? I have seen this on guns that were plated and then after a few rounds they won't function due to tight tolerences.

I am not a gunsmith, but the safety level worked fine, so I am guessing the gunsmith meant that the internal mechanism to the safety level got stuck.

My apologies for dropping the ball and missing out on this thread. I had departed for New England and attended armorer's school while this thread was active.

A bit of digression for those who are not Sig owners. The Safety on the Sig P220 is an internal lever which serves to disengage the frame mounted Firing Pin Block. (If you remove the slide and look at the gun from the top. Going forward of the Hammer, you'll see the Sear Spring which is nestled by the left and right side of the Sear. Immediately to the right of the Sear is the Safety. It's that little table which appears less than 1/16" long). On the Sig, unlike other pistols, the Safety is not a manually operated externally located device found on the slide or frame.

That said, here's my take on what happened. The Safety is engaged by the Trigger Bar when the Trigger Bar is moving forward and cocking the Hammer. If the Safety is prevented from pivoting upwards, it arrests the motion of the Trigger Bar. This in turn prevents the user from cocking the Hammer in the DA mode.

Did what the gunsmith say make sense? I suppose rust or dirt can jam up th Safety. For the most part, the Safety is a very low maintenance part and provided the gun is kept clean, it almost always works. The peculiar thing about thequickad's Sig is that it's brand new and has only been fired twice - with factory ammo at that! I'm wondering if there is something about the range (fine dust) or the climatic conditions in thequickad's place that would promote rust that quick.

------------------
Vigilantibus et non dormientibus jura subveniunt

[This message has been edited by 4V50 Gary (edited December 02, 1999).]

My guess is that I properly give it a bit too much oil after the first session (should have used breakfree). Here in the high California Desert, oil doesn't mix well with sand and that might have been the cause. Thank you for the very in-depth explaination. It was something that could not be easily cleared by someone lacking the knowledge of the SIG safety. :D

Back