Makorov Range Report

cloverleaf762

Just picked up a used Bulgarian Mak in excellent condition with 200 rounds through it a few days ago. Came with 4 mags, holster, cleaning rod, and 250 rounds of ammo. This is the second Mak I've had. First one was a Soviet import in 93 with the adjustable sights. Like all Maks it has an ok blued finish on the outside but is very rough on the inside showing copious amounts of machining marks. Safety is a bit hard to manipulate also. Below I have posted 4 sets of targets. All were shot off hand at 15 meters. Targets were orange target dots set in the center of 8.5-11' paper. One is Federal ball with a 3" dot, Hornandy JHP with a 3" dot, CCI GDHP with a 2" dot, and for comparison a 2" dot shot from a custom SIG220ST with Remington 230 BJHP's. Accuracy was good for a cheap mass produced firearm, but was high and left with all loads. Ball worked fine with zero malfunctions. Both the CCI and Hornandy would fail to feed all the way one out of every 8 rounds consistently. I fired 3 mags of each type of round. In the next 2 weeks I will be adjusting the rear sight to correct for the shot placement to the right. I will not bother to file the sight to make up for it shooting high. I figure how far away would someone intend on shooting someone with this thing anyways? At any reasonable range you will not miss. I will also be changing out the factory spring with an extra power one from Wolff custom gun springs. I use there springs in all my guns to great effect. I believe this will help solve the feeding problems with the HP's as all the mis feeds needed to chamber was a tap on the back of the slide. I’ll post the results on this thread when I get that done. Not that a Mak is my first choice to keep handy or carry with the many custom SIGs I have, but for those on a budget these are not that bad a choice. The round is a bit small, but so is the gun. What other choices are there in a 9 shot double action pistol for 100-150 bucks?

MAKBALL.bmp

Federal Ball
MAKHORNADY.bmp

Hornandy JHP
MAKCCI.bmp

CCI GDHP
SIGT.bmp

SIG P220ST with Remington 230 Golden Sabers

Ok. Got the holster and Pearce grips in. Holster is ok for strong side or small of back carry, but the paddle is too long for comfortable cross draw wear. Pearce grips make the gun in this case. No more bite when shooting. Plus for those of us with larger hands it gives you a bit more to hold. Makes the gun pleasant to shoot.

Pros on the whole thing;
Nice gun at a good price will do the job.
With a few inexpensive mods it makes a great cheap carry piece.

Cons;
Will only do the job if the job isn’t too big.
Low capacity.
Heal release is slow.
Still isn’t as nice as a beat up barely working SIG.

Few picks from the last range session. Target is 16 rounds at 15 meters as fast as the gun could be fired. The rest gives you an idea what it looks like and everything I have with it as now that I am done playing I will be selling it.

Mak4.jpg

Mak3.jpg

Mak2.jpg

Mak1.jpg

Back