Making your grips narrower. Potential issues?

Pond James Pond

This is relating to a revolver in my case, but could apply to any gun.

I have a small frame .38Spl snub not all that dissimilar to a Model 29 in appearance (though not size!!;)).

At the moment carry is IWB appendix although I may try something new.

My biggest worry is not the cylinder, but the grip printing.

So I thought about making some simple grip panels from wood or even polymer, and making them thinner than the standard ones that are presently about 30mm thick on the gun.

Depending on the material used I could bring that thickness down to about 23-24mm. That would be just a smidge under 1"

Would this, in your opinions, a) make the gun a bit more concealed and b) cause any issues with holding the gun. (I have normal sized palms, but perhaps my fingers are a tad short in comparison).

The job will cost nothing other than a couple of hours and I enjoy these projects, but I'd still like your predictions!!

Alternatively, I could simply direct my attention to the part of the butt that is most likely to print and taper off and round the side and butt of the right grip panel, ie the one that is facing away from my abdomen.

Last edited:
I was not satisfied with OEM grips or aftermarket on a number of revolvers, so I taught myself how to make my own grips...

Slimming grips to fit your hands or carry needs should be a cinch...

Go slow and do not take off too much at one time, and recheck often...

There is no free lunch...

When you change something on a gun, there is always a trade off. Enhancing a gun for one thing means you are reducing something else. Its a trade off that YOU have do decide which has more value to you...

Making the grip smaller to make the gun more concealable will change the feel of the gun when shooting it. Not really a problem, UNLESS you take the grip down to the point where it is TOO small for your hands. And, even then, it might be ok for you, because simply put, the purpose of a concealed handgun is to be concealed, not ease of shooting.

Tiny butts, snub barrels, small/simple/crude sights, and generally heavy trigger pulls (out of the box) are the hallmarks of a pocket revolver or auto. Capable of being shot well enough at close range to save the day, but optimized for concealment, not use.

I've got a Colt Agent .38 snub, lovely gun,very nice, fits pockets/concealment holsters easily. Not nearly as easy to shoot a good bullseye score with as a 6" N-Frame but the N-frame is kind of obvious when worn....

http://www.precisiongunspecialties.com/

I buy these from Brownells...cheap. They are solid black nylon, so they are easy to shape to your liking, stipple (with a soldering iron) checker, rough up with 60 grit sandpaper, whatever. Then if you like it, keep them or make a set out of wood.

The ones on my 642 are flat on both sides. I prefer grips with flat sides as its easier to index the gun for me. Round grips feel awful for my dainty little girl hands.

Just a thought.

When you change something on a gun, there is always a trade off. Enhancing a gun for one thing means you are reducing something else. Its a trade off that YOU have do decide which has more value to you...

This is not going to be something drastic.

I just want to make the grip thinner width-ways. Forward to back and height with remain the same as dictated by the actual gun's frame.

In addition I will shave some of the bulk from the bottom of the grip whose blocky profile would normally poke into the material of any clothing over it. In reality not very noticeable, but feels like a veritable beacon when I see myself in a mirror/shop window!

They are solid black nylon, so they are easy to shape to your liking

I'm going even cheaper: old plastic chopping board from the kitchen!! Easy to cut, and whittle, but still very tough

I have a small frame .38Spl snub

That's the Astra, right? I'm guessing at this point no one makes any aftermarket grips.

My biggest worry is not the cylinder, but the grip printing.

Stop worrying about it. Nobody pays attention, nobody notices.

Or take up pocket carry. "Nobody notices" goes double for pocket carry.

Would this, in your opinions, a) make the gun a bit more concealed and b) cause any issues with holding the gun. (I have normal sized palms, but perhaps my fingers are a tad short in comparison).

That would be an interesting project. I think I would try to find a spare wood grip set, and start working on that with whatever woodworking tools are appropriate.

Last edited:
Well goodness, if you're not going to be hacking away at the original grips then go for it.

You might find that you can create the personalized grips that exactly fit your hand. If nothing else you'll for sure have something to spark some discussion at the range.

Please keep us informed as to how it turns out.

Well, I have rustled some up.

They are nothing to look at being still very rough from using a wood file to shape them (finer sand-paper to come), and the fact that they are made from retired nylon chopping board.

Still the fit and work. The hold seems fine and width-wise they have shed a mere 3mm, so not a lot. However, as I had planned, I shaved off a lot more from the butt area. The width had been 31mm wide with quite a square shape. Now it is a far more tapered form and the butt end is about 24mm wide, so that corner that would stand proud under my T-shirt is now far more modest.

I now need to smooth out the whole surface so that it is relatively aesthetic and I may investigate some kind of stippling: perhaps finding some fin metal grill that I can heat and then print the grip with.

We'll see.

For small J- and K- framed S&W revolvers, these Secret Service grips from Eagle have been my pick for many years. Mine are rosewood, ebony is available, though costly.

Bob Wright

Oops!

I now need to smooth out the whole surface so that it is relatively aesthetic and I may investigate some kind of stippling: perhaps finding some fin metal grill that I can heat and then print the grip with.
Consider stippling the front and front portions of the sides. It would assist in gripping but remain smooth towards the rear to minimize clothing clinging to the grips. Excuse me for posting a pic of a 1911, but this is sort of the effect I'm talking about. I really like it for concealed carry. My DW CCO:

Pond is working with an Astra revolver.

Still the case and very fond of it I am too!!

Right now, I'm trying to think of a method of smoothing the plastic (nylon I think) where abrasion is not needed as it stays rough that way.

I could use controlled exposure to a heat source alone, or I could use a razor to shave off the roughed surface first, then going for heat that should even up the surface as it nears liquid state.

Suggestions?

lee n. field said:......................Pond is working with an Astra revolver.

The grips I showed are Eagle's Secret Service grips, available for S & W, Colt, Ruger and likely several other small framed revolvers. Did not mean to imply that he buy them for a S & W, just showing him what was available. I believe if you state your choice of gun, Eagle can accomodate you.

Bob Wright

Nice idea, Bob, but between a relatively obscure revolver brand and shipping/import duty costs, making my own just makes more sense in my case.

These are, after all, a purely practical solution. Aesthetics are quite some way down the list for me. If they come as part of the deal, all the better. If not, too bad.

Pond. James Pond said: Nice idea, Bob, but between a relatively obscure revolver brand and shipping/import duty costs, making my own just makes more sense in my case.

These are, after all, a purely practical solution. Aesthetics are quite some way down the list for me. If they come as part of the deal, all the better. If not, too bad.

O.K. I'll try again. The grips I have shown are about 3/8" ( 9.5mm) thick at their thickest point from the gun's frame, this at the palm swell. Depending on the species of wood you're planning on using, this seems good enough. Some woods will split easily, especially if the grain is run crosswise to the grip.

Try walnut, rosewood or ebony. Stay away from the real soft woods.

Bob Wright

Back