Making the future

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>The Palm Beach Post

Thursday, September 30, 1999

Students assess Bill of Rights, vote against guns, lawyers, press

By ron_hayes@pbpost.com
Palm Beach Post Staff Writer

LAKE WORTH -- If the Bill of rights could have only five amendments instead of 10, which one should be kept?

Turn in your guns, stop the presses and fire the lawyers, some students at Lake Worth High School told state Supreme Court Justice Harry Lee Anstead. But keep protecting us from unreasonable searches and unusual punishments, give us a jury and let us pray.

Anstead visited the school Wednesday for a "Justice Teach-In," in which the state's highest judges hold moot court hearing and conduct exercises to instill respect for the Bill of Rights.

"I get tired of hearing people say. 'Children are our future,'" said Anstead, appointed to the court in 1994. "Children are our present."

In the mock trial, Anstead joined six students serving as Supreme Court justices who must decide whether school principals have a right to censor student newspapers.

"This is a question of a constitutional principle versus school authority," he explained. Then he questioned student "lawyers" arguing either side.

In the end, the mock court voted 4-3 against censorship, with Anstead in the minority.

"But I had to vote with the law," he said. The case was based on an actual hearing in which the U.S. Supreme Court found that school pricipals have the rights of publishers over student papers.

To get the students thinking about their rights, Anstead broke the class of 24 into five groups and had them decide which amendments in the Bill of Rights they'd most want to keep after a foreign invasion.

When the votes were tallied, protection from unreasonable searches and seizures garnered support from all the groups, while the right to bear arms, the right to legal counsel and freedom of the press couldn't muster a single vote.

Anstead responded with a brief history of the rationale behind the right to bear arms and the importance of a free press in encouraging debate.

"One way to strive for justice," he reminded the class, "is to complain about injustice."

Supreme Court Justice Barbra Pariente will conduct a similar session at Jupiter High School today.
[/quote]

[This message has been edited by RepublicThunderbolt (edited October 01, 1999).]

Hah! "After a foreign invasion???"

Assuming this to mean that the US had been conquered by some other country, which was now insisting on a rework of the BoR, I'd think it obvious even to a schoolkid that all those with any real interest in the RKBA would be dead in that circumstance, and that future RKBA would not be tolerated by the conquerers. I wouldn't have wasted my vote on it either at that point.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>When the votes were tallied, protection from
unreasonable searches and seizures garnered
support from all the groups, while the right to bear
arms, the right to legal counsel and freedom of the
press couldn't muster a single vote.[/quote]

Man...how criminally naive!

------------------
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes" RKBA!

"Turn in your guns . . . and let us pray."

Well, they sure as hell better, for without RKBA they will need SOME kind of protection.

It looks like the Elitists are doing a great
job of brainwashing. If this is indicative of America's future, we are all in deep yogurt.

------------------
If you can't fight City Hall, at least defecate on the steps.

In the middle of the conflict...

"Oh God! I wish I had a gun!"

------------------
John/az

"The middle of the road between the extremes of good and evil, is evil. When freedom is at stake, your silence is not golden, it's yellow..." RKBA!

www.quixtar.com
referal #2005932

Larry P.
Think more in terms of a "domestic invasion." Look at Germany, Cuba, England, etc. where too many people chose to give up their freedom "for the sake of the children" as they say today. These things usually happen from within. It's happening right now.

I'd be depressed if I didn't have my own campus to cheer m . . . . Oh wait. I guess I'll just be depressed. I thought I had my quad mate the other night. I said to him "So, are you saying that if someone threatens my life, I don't have the right to defend myself?"
I expected the usual anti type evasion. He floored me by saying "No, you don't, except by certain means."
I rephrased "You mean I have to let some guy kill me? You'd do the same?"
He says "Well, yeah, I wouldn't defend myself by any means necessary, you know, that's crazy."
I swear I'm not making this up!!! How do you argue with a person who recognizes neither your nor his own right to EXIST?
People my age scare the hell out of me.

------------------
Don

"Its not criminals that go into schools and shoot children"
--Ann Pearston, British Gun Control apologist and moron

RepublicThunderbolt; Don't worry too much about what these students have voted for. Life's experiences will change their minds. Don't forget that they are learning from a liberal establishment. Reality and liberalism are two different things.

I knew some smart folks in high school, but as soon as they went to college they became brain dead. I'm glad I didn't go. The Rock just shakes his head at their blatant stupidity. If they were smarter...

Without the Second Amendment, all others are but mere words on a scrap of paper.

------------------
Vigilantibus et non dormientibus jura subveniunt

Gwinny: I know what you're saying. I had a girlfriend once ask me (I was about 18), "So you would kill someone to keep them from killing you?" I was quite confused by the question, and answered something like "Of course." When I asked if she would answer differently, I think she said something like she wasn't sure.

I can't believe the kids didn't see any importance in the 1st and 2nd amendments. I think those are the two that I need most often.

Back