Making little guns bigger?

Auto5

I prefer a compact (or midsize) handgun for concealed carry. I'm willing to give up a (little) bit of concealabilty, over the subcompacts, in exchange for the added comfort and control afforded by having all of my fingers on the grip ( not to mention the additional one or two round capacity increase). My brother, on the other hand, takes the position that a concealed carry handgun is carried far more than it is shot, so he wants the smallest, lightest subcompact he can find. I can understand the merits of both positions. What puzzles me is why a person would buy the smaller gun, but then add an extended magazine, usually with a special baseplate, that increases the length of the grip back to that of the next size larger pistol anyway. Ditto the oversized rubber finger groove stocks on compact J- frame revolvers. Since I carry IWB anyway, the 0.5" difference in slide length is irrelevant to me. So, what is the advantage?

I don't carry a subcompact with a larger magazine installed, but use one as a spare/reload. I figure if the situation is such that I need to reload, more rounds will probably be better.

I don't really care for extended mags myself, at least not in the gun. If I have an extended mag, it's always a backup magazine. As for having all the fingers on the gun, I know a lot of folks like to have all of them on the grip, but it doesn't help anything really.

Take a Glock 26/27 for example, my pinky hangs off on those yet I shoot them quite possibly better than the larger models. The pinky does nothing for making accuracy better, but I can accept that some people just don't like to leave it hangin'.

My brother, on the other hand, takes the position that a concealed carry handgun is carried far more than it is shot, so he wants the smallest, lightest subcompact he can find.

If you follow that logic, why carry at all? Chances are, you'll never pull your carry piece. One doesn't carry for the "normal condition." One carries to be prepared for the abnormal condition.

. . . but then add an extended magazine, usually with a special baseplate, that increases the length of the grip. . .

Agreed. And the bottom of the grip is usually where printing occurs.

I've been approved for my CCW. I'm about a month away now from having it (California).

I'm going to carry a Kahr CW9. It's a compact. No extended mags, nothing like that. It's nice and small, so it's going to be good for a beginner like me. Also, I'm in a warm weather climate, so about 8 months out of the year, light clothing is the norm.

I have a Glock 29SF (10mm) that is a mid-sized gun and I intend to carry it eventually. But it is a bit large and may only do so during the cooler months. We'll see.

I pocket carry and I use the smallest package available for whatever gun I choose to carry: no large grips for revolvers and no grip extensions for semi-autos. I've been wanting to pick up a G26 for pocket carry (yes I have big pockets) and some people tell me to get the grip extension. I already have a G19, why would I want to make a G26 bigger?

Nick,
I was actually looking for a CW9 when I came across my Bersa BP9CC. It's bigger by just a hair, but its 8+1 and came with 2 mags. (Shown with versacarry clip attached). I still don't get the larger mag as a reload. To me the fastest reload is the one that's already in the gun.

Attachments

• 20131019_061818.jpg
    20131019_061818.jpg
    227.8 KB · Views: 55
I got my CW9 back in March. It was my first step in getting my CCW. I like it a lot. I can shoot amazing groups with it at 10 yards. And it eats up everything I feed it - gobble gobble gobble. I load my own and put a wide range of ammo through it. Not a single mis-feed of any kind. I'm very pleased.

I carry extended mags as spares, because they don't have a "lip" on the base plate plate that presses into my side. Extended Kahr K9 mags have a flat that's more comfortable next to my skin. I carry non-extended mags in the gun itself.

I also only carry an extended mag as a spare. I do understand carrying a smaller pistol, though. Better a small gun you carry than a big gun you don't.

It is all personal preference.
I do no carry a Glock but if I did, I would rather CC a G26 + grip extension than a G19. The plastic grip extension adds comfort and control without adding much size and weight. I probably would not CC a G26 if it had a G17 magazine -- just too much extension.
I CC a Kahr K9 w/o mag extension. When I CC a spare mag, it is an extended magazine.

I like to carry a CM9 in my pocket with a spare (CW9) mag in a multi-tool belt pouch. Pinky dangles with original mag but not with CW9 mag. tom. :cool:

I am generally carrying a 9mm Sig P250 sub-compact. I have the X-Grip to help accommodate a compact size mag. It allows me to get all my fingers on the grip and adds an additional 3 rounds for a load of 15 +1. The size increase is approximately 1/2' to the grip length, and it does not look tacked on.

You can debate whether all fingers on the grip help accuracy. I simply feel more comfortable with all fingers on board vs. a pinky hanging in space. I am comfortable with a 16 round pay load thus alleviating extra magazines. ;)

IMO the advantage is having the option. Flush fit for pocket or deep concealment or summer carry, extended grip (capacity) for spares and range use or winter carry.

Options are a good thing.

I installed a Pearce finger grip extension on my Kahr PM-9 magazines as it helps me manage recoil when I shoot 124gr +P.

I carry the PM-9 when increased concealability is necessary but because the finger grip extension doesn't increase length at the heel of the grip it doesn't affect my ability to carry it concealed. (Depending on the situation I carry it in a Milt Sparks Executive's Companion leather IWB at 4 o'clock or a modified Milt Sparks Summer Special leather IWB in appendix carry.)

The PM-9 is too large for for me pocket carry effectively.

When I first got a Seecamp .32 for pocket carry I thought I might have to add a finger grip extension to the magazine - until I fired it and realized I didn't need it.

There are guns that can go in a pocket, and guns that need a holster. Once you've gone to a holster-sized gun, there's not much reason to give up a round or a secure grip.
I've shot the SIG P238 .380, and it seems that it could go in a (big-enough) pocket, as it's both small and light. I've heard that the only very slightly larger P938 9mm is just enough bigger that it really is no longer a pocket gun, so why have a tiny, low-capacity gun on your belt?

If it helps you carry I say go for it. I know there was a time I carried my 26 with an extension over a Glock 19. The reason was I was carrying AIWB and found the barrel length was a better suit. That said I now carry my 19 almost exclusivly and when I carry my 26 I do so without extensions. I have found I shoot it just as good without extensions as I do with.

I carry a Kahr PM9 and I have no trouble fitting it nicely into my front pocket. It's one of the few 9mm's that can be pocket concealed. 6

Back