Making grips fit

Fuzzymaster

I purchased a set of plastic? grips for a Colt 25 acp. The grips are ok, but the knurls that the grip bolt goes thru do not fit flush. Half is flush and half stick up quite a bit. I can't see any way of getting these flush short of taking some metal off or finding a set of grips that accommodate the mounting hardware better. Any advice? Thanks

I'm uncertain what you're asking about. Are you talking about the striations on the escutcheon? Please post some pictures to clarify the issue.

I think OP is referring to the grip screw bushings,which going by earlier model
pictures show a serrated outer edge probably to prevent spinning.

It is the grip screw bushings. I looked at making the hole deeper bu I am not sure there is enough material there. I will get some pics up.

Attachments

• guns 003.JPG
    guns 003.JPG
    146.5 KB · Views: 44
  • guns 004.JPG
    guns 004.JPG
    170.5 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:
It looks to me like there's some missing plastic

Taking away metal isn't really going to improve the appearance

I'd try to find another set of grips

I believe bill meant to deepen the holes, which is what I was referring to as may not be enough material at bottom of hole . I may try it, and if I ruin the grips I'll try another set.

I just did this for a customer recently. The escutcheons have to be contoured to the grip. Use a fine file and proceed carefully.

I would do it as Scorch says, since the plastic on these grips is thin at the bottom of the holes for the escutcheons. Just take your time, and file them down, until they fit correctly. A little cold blue on the ends will finish them up, then oil.

Thanks guys. That will be my project today, will post results.

Done, I think I need some fine tuning but thanks for the help, much better.

Attachments

• guns 002.JPG
    guns 002.JPG
    145.2 KB · Views: 28
  • guns 001.JPG
    guns 001.JPG
    145.1 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
Express blue > black paint. Then again, black paint works just fine.

Speaking of painting, cerakote it and bake it in the oven. OK, don't do that. Wife gets mad and it is bad to prepare food in the same oven that you bake paint in. Betty Crocker, Duncan Mills and Julia Child would not approve.

First, those grips appear to be old take-offs. The reason the escutcheons stick up is that the material around them is broken. There are good new grips available and I would recommend those. (The gun is not in the collectible category.)

Here is a good source of plastic grips, not the old hard rubber grips, which are often brittle and crack.

http://www.gungrip.com/items_22__page4.html

Jim

Back