Making Custom Grips For My '58 Remington

I ordered a pair of walnut blanks but I can't decide what color to stain them.

WP0202.JPG

I might just leave them the natural walnut color and use a Danish Oil to protect the wood. In any case I want a satin finish; not a glossy one like the original grips have.

If I color them, I might try to achieve the color of rosewood like the Eagle Grips on these Smith and Wesson revolvers.

classic_bigger.JPG

secretrose.jpg

sedona.jpg

Minwax Sedona Red (Oil Based Stain)

rosewood.jpg

Minwax Rose Wood (Water Based Stain)

Does anyone have any experience with water based stains? I'm planning to finish with a Danish Oil or Tung Oil after staining.

Any advice on techniques for fitting the grips?

Thanks.

Will.

Last edited:
Will; Here is a pic of the grips on my Pietta Remington 5 1/2" (on top). I chemically stripped the factory finish, stained them with one coat of Birchwood-Casey walnut stain, then applied about 5 coats of Birchwood-Casey Tru-Oil as per the directions on the can.

My pics just do not do the grips justice- They are incredible in person.

Hope this helps!
John

Attachments

• twins2.jpg
    twins2.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 97
John,

Thanks for the photo. Your grips turned out really nice. I really like the color.

I think I'd like mine to be just a little more red in color.

Does the Tru-Oil leave a glossy, semi glossy, or more of a satin finish?

Will.

Will- The gloss of the Tru-Oil depends on how many coats that you apply. One or two coats and it is dull; Any more than that and it gets progressively glossier.

John

finish

Water based stains raise whiskers in the wood fibers that then need to be sanded off. Spirit stains don't do that. If you rub the True oil with a piece of lint free cotton that is almost dry there is so little oil on it you can make a dull finish. Regular Linseed oil diluted with mineral spirits for the first coats and then full strength after that make a nice satin finish. Laurel Mountain walnut stain is reddish like you want and cherry is redder and maple pretty red too. The cherry stain is real red. Brownells sells it. Laurel Mountain gun stock sealer soaks in and the excess wiped off and it can leave an old Danish oil look that is also water proof.

Back