Makeshift powerbelts?

injun

Inactive
I was curious as to whether anyone has tried shooting or has any knowledge of the use of modern copper jacketed bullets of bore diameter in their muzzleloader. Sabots are not legal in my state during muzzleloading season, however, the powerbelt is. The 295 gr. powerbelt is more than sufficient for the Elk I hunt, but I couldn't help to ask the question as to whether anyone has used pistol bullets of .500 caliber or the .500 MZ bullet (comes with .54 cal sabot) on top of a .50 caliber sabot with the petals cut off (as a gas seal for the bullet).

Hmmm good idea....however your going to have to make some sort of guillotine to cut the petals off flush.

then I would use normal superglue to attach them to the end of the round.

Also, most muzzle loader bullets are actually .495 diameter I think. A true .50 might be a bit of a tight fit.

tight indeed

Yes I guess it would be very tight. I won't be the one to try it first, thats fer sure. As far as glueing the cut sabot, i don't think that'd be necessary. Perhaps a casting of lead around the bullet would be better. Sabots are illegal here during ML seasons, still it would be nice to marry the controlled expansion properties of MZ or XTP bullet in a conical which is legal for hunting here.

injun

Back