Make sure it fits!

I tested my 590A1 with the factory stock. 100rds of bird and 3 buck and 3 slug. Beat the heck out of my shoulder. Replaced the stock with a cut down wood Mossberg 600 stock and slip-on Pachmayr(sp?) recoil pad. It fits my short arms and thick chest much better now, and it now feels much softer to shoot.

Maybe next time you'll believe me(G)....

Seriously, most of us shoot less effectively than we could because we use stocks that are not quite right. A bit of tinkering and adjustment can be a great investment.

Right now, my 870 stocks run up to nearly 15" on the trap gun to the more/less standard 13 1/2". The shorter ones actually could be a little longer, but I can work with them. That long trap stock is for a premounted game under strict criteria, and would not give a clean fast mount easily.

"Serious" shotgun stocks should be a little on the short side,classically speaking, for use under bad conditions. These are shot more like rifles most of the time.

Any shooter of less than average height needs a less than average length stock more than a more than average height shooter needs a long one.

LA MEJOR ESCOPETA ES CON LA QUE MEJOR ACIERTAS NO ES LA DE MEJOR MARCA, TENGO PERAZZIS, WICHESTERS, ZOLI, BERETTAS, SAUER, WEBLEYS, LA QUE MAS ME ACOMODA ES LA MAS BARATA Y FEA, YA QUE UN DIA ROMPI MI CULATA CUANDO TROPECÉ Y LE MANDE HACER UNA A MI MEDIDA. POR ESO AHORA NO DISPARO TANTO PORQUE ACIERTO MAS.

pepemarine@hotmail.com

tengo un buen culatero. MEXICO.

Whoa! Three years of Spanish and I can understand about 45% of that. Shaking my head in shame.

translation

"The best shotgun is the one that you can hit with, not the best brand. I have PERAZZIS, WICHESTERS, ZOLI, BERETTAS, SAUER, WEBLEYS. The one that fits me the best is the cheapest and ugliest that has had the stock made to fit my measurements after I tripped and broke the original one. With the new stock, it takes fewer shots to hit with.

I have a good stock maker."

More or less. I think. My Spanish skills are not too sharp anymore.

I'm impressed. I just graduated with a B.S. in poultry science. I interned with a major poultry company and as a breaking me in thing the put me on a farm for a week where no one spoke English. A couple of the guys were really nice, but I assure you there were many laughs on both sides as they tried to teach me more Spanish and I tried to teach them some English. I have got to work on it more.

Kilgor, you're not by chance a U of MD grad, College Park? When I went there, advanced poultry judging was a favorite elective course for undergrads...

No Rom, I graduated from the University of Arkansas. I'm currently working on my M.S. in poultry health here. The company was Pilgrim's Pride down in Texas. Poultry Judging is a popular course for poultry majors here too :D

Back