Make a deerskin vest?

Smokey Joe

Any suggestions as to where to get plans, specs, and parts lists, for the making of deerskin vests for children?

I have several nieces, nephews, godchildren, etc, etc, that I think would like one.

I have a number of tanned deer hides saved up.

Thx in advance for the help.

I dont know exactly where you'd go to get them for deer skin but you can pick up templates and the like for making clothing at walmart in the Arts and Crafts section for vests that you can atleast get the sizes right. :D

PS how did you tan them ?? :confused:

Dimitri

Deer Vest

Wouldn't wear it out in the woods - liable to get shot by desperate hunters this late into the season!!!:eek: !!!

Tan hides

Dimitri--I tanned the hides in a very traditional way--I rubbed money on them! :D Locally we have a tanner who makes a business of doing your deer hides for you. Yes, you do get yr own hide back. Does a great job; doesn't cost an arm and a leg; all you do is thoroughly salt the hide and get it to the tannery. Then pay for the work. I've read up just a little on home-tanning of hides, and it's not something I want to get into.

About patterns from Wal-Mart--aren't there considerations because you're working with leather, as opposed to fabric, that a pattern has to address?

Ian2005--Agreed. But these vests would be for little kids, 4 to maybe 7 yrs old. When my #1 son was small we bought him such a vest, and he loved it and wore it to death, took him several years. The neat thing about a vest as a present is that it fits a growing child for some years of growth, so if they like it, they can wear it for more than just 6 months or a year as would be the case with a shirt or jacket.

No, you would size the vests the same regardless of the fabric.

However, as quickly as kids grow, you'll want to make them a bit large so they might get two seasons' wear out of them

Springmom

Joe,

lol on your method. I want to tan a couple of hids cant find sources of the chemicals they require seeing as they say "go to a durg store" but up there they dont carry them :(

Anyways as for:
When my #1 son was small we bought him such a vest, and he loved it and wore it to death, took him several years.
I used to wear vests all the time too. I still do actually they are great. :) If its abit of a warmer vest like the one I got at Bass Pro not too thin and not to thick makes a great thing to wear in cold fall/spring as well as a good layer to keep you warm in the winter :D

Oh and I'll lisen to Springmom she probrobly knows more then me about clothes seeing as I hate clothes shopping. Plus a mother does know best :D

Dimitri

Try Tandy's too - I know they've got patterns and plans for all kinds of leather clothing... Probably something close to what you want. They also will have supplies like leather lace and sewing needles specially designed for leather and the patterns/plans will include things like decorative buck stitching and such.

http://www.tandyleather.com/

Dimitris^

lol on your method. I want to tan a couple of hids cant find sources of the chemicals they require seeing as they say "go to a durg store" but up there they dont carry them.

Here you go.
Tanning Kit Link

This has all the chemicals and instructions you will need. They carry other tanning and mounting kits as well.

Thx!

Sprigmom and Yorec--Yr input is appreciated. Will make the vests a bit oversized; getting more than a season of wear out of it was the whole idea. Will look into patterns @ Walmart and @ Tandy.

I'm intimidated by a "real" fabric store; don't want to go into Northwest Fabrics for example--I can use a sewing machine for patching work pants and that's about it. The results are functional but not pretty.

And yeah, I hate clothes shopping, too.

Back