Make 686+ feel like 627 PC V-comp?

Guy B. Meredith

I have done most of my shooting with the 627 PC V-comp I won in an IRC raffle two years ago (don't tell the anti-gunners) but shoot the 686+ enough to be competent with it. This weekend I was out for what has become my once every two month practice and shot both with some 158 grain .38 spl that should be doing about 900 fps and some 158 grain .357 magnum that should be doing somewhere between 1200 to 1300 fps. Not sure as I've done a little tweaking since the last chrono session.

Between the two I shot 150 rounds of the .357 magnum and a couple hundred .38 spl.

Anyway, the 686+ gets uncomfortable after 20 to 30 rounds of the .357 magnum rounds, but with the 627 I could shoot the .357 magnum rounds all day. The main difference is the trigger shape, with action feel coming in second. Not sure there is a big weight difference due to the 8 holes in the 627 PC and both have the rubber Hogue grip that has become my favorite.

The trigger on the 686+ is hollow on the back side so there does not appear to be enough metal to reshape it. Are triggers available for the 686+ that would match the 627 PC trigger?

Beyond that, I am getting to the point where I really appreciate the silken feel of the 627 PC V-comp action and may look to having some work done on the 686+ to take it to that level.

Guy, as far as I can see, you have THREE choices regarding the SHAPE of the trigger on your 686 Plus...first, have the current trigger re-contoured...don't know how well that would work, w/the "hollow-backed" MIM part...second would be to find (on one of the auction sites, probably...) a "pre-owned" PC trigger to intall in the 686 Plus...the third alternative I can think of is to send it back to S&W for a "Performance Center" action job...I BELIEVE that they replace the MIM trigger and hammer with the "old-style" flash-chromed ones on the Stainless guns as a matter of course w/a PC action job...that'd be MY choice...let us know what you decide and how it works out....mikey357

Back