Makarov

AC's & 45's

I have been considering picking up a East German Makarov.
I already have numerous other pistols suitable for sefl defense.
I beleive the 9x18 Makarov round is roughly equivalent to the .380 ACP. Correct? What I am wondering is size.
How does this pistol compare to Officer's ACP in physical size?

While I think this pistol is probably suitable for certain defensive applications, it is a tad small in caliber for me. I want this little pistol mostly for fun and novelty.

http://www.makarov.com will answer most of your questions. The Mak is a small pistol, and the 9x18 round is certainly less powerful than 9mm, but it somewhat more than the .380 (maybe 20%?).

The Mak is the bargain gun of the century right now...

-Troy

Hello. I see the Mak as an inexpensive "shooter" that could be called upon for more serious purposes if required. You are very correct in your statements that the 9x18Makarov is very much like a .380 ACP; it's a wee bit "hotter" and does have a slightly larger diameter, but it's a big, big step down from 9x19mm. Still, not all shots have to be the most powerful nor are we always concerned with "stopping power." The Makarovs are without frills, but they do work and are robust little guns. I do have a defensive load for mine, but it would be down on the list of handguns I'd choose for this purpose.

It's roughly the same size as the Officer's ACP although the Mak MAY have a little bit longer handle on it.

Best.

I just happened to compare the size of my Makarov to the Glock 26. The Makarov is smaller in length and width. Not by alot but it is smaller. So if you have seen the size of a glock 26 it is slightly smaller.

IMHO, you just cannot go wrong with a Makarov. I have a few, but only shoot one - a Bulgarian milsurp. I have added Pearce grips and had a set of <b><A HREF=http://www.mmcsight.com/>MMC</A></b> Combat night sights installed on the slide, and it serves as one of my carry guns. It will digest anything I feed it, and has never experianced a FTF or FTE. For range practice, the Russian ammo being imported is available for about $0.10 per round. <font color=green>COR-BON & Hornady</font> both manufacture personal protection HP ammo, but it is expensive - figure about $12 for 20 rounds. However, <b><A HREF=http://www.dansammo.com>Dan Tobin of Dans' Sporting Goods</A></b> will sell you 500 rounds of <b><font color=red>Barnaul 9X18 HP</font></b> for $60 or 1000 for $115. At $0.115 to $0.12 per round, it is easy to practice with your carry round. I have tried the <b><font color=red>Barnaul</font></b> and found it accurate & reliable. Dan has a sample or 2 that was fired into media for expansion testing. It displays a mushroom as you would expect to see on the high end <font color=green>COR-BON or Hornady.</font><br>
Oh yes - size. A quick check against my 3" Kimber: not including the Kimber's beavertail, they are about equal in length. The grip on the Kimber is about 1.3" wide, about 2.05" front-to-back at the grip safety; 1.1" & 2.07" for the Mak (both wearing factory grips). Bottom of grip to top of slide for the Kimber is about 4.9", Mak is 4.8" (mags inserted).<br>
A word about <b>Dan Tobin</b>. If you are shooting the calibers or buying the guns he has to offer but not dealing with him, you are missing the boat. I am fortunate in that I live near his warehouse & am able to deal over the counter. His customer service is second to none, and his prices are fantastic. He ships east of the Mississippi for free, to the west for $10. He is <i>extremely</i> well stocked. Try him out, & you won't be sorry.

Kevin

Back