Makarov Sights

Hays

I bought a Bulgarian Mak earlier this year from AIM Surplus. The gun looks brand new, and I couldn't be happier with the accuracy and reliability of this cool little gun. Like many other Mak owners, I'm not thrilled with the sights, and I'm considering having some aftermarket sights installed by my gunsmith.

I know that Beast Enterprises offers a Bulgarian slide that has Novak rear sights for the Colt .380 series installed. I've also read that some Mak owners have had MMC sights installed. Before making a decision, I wanted to explore all of my options.

I was reading an article recently in Handgun Magazine on the Sig P232. I noticed the gun seemed similar in size to a Mak, which made me wonder if the sights would work. I went to sigarms website and found that they do sell these sights as aftermarket sights. I've e-mailed them and asked for dimensions.

I was wondering if anyone else had any other recommendations? Does anyone know what the dovetail dimensions of the Mak are? I appreciate your help.

I looked at the BEAST slide but decided the better option would be to send my gun to BEAST and have the whole encilada done to my gun for only a little more;
Package Deal-
Includes trigger job, Novak sights, dehorning, blueprinting and refinish with Moly Resin
$225
I know that doesn't answer your question about sights, but if you decide to go with the Novaks, this seems like the way to go for me. I sent Geoff my gun today.

Hello. I'm very happy with the Beast slide on my commericial Bulgarian, but I suspect that other sights could be used.

Shoot your Makarov and if the tiny fixed sights are "on," measure their respective heights above the slide. From that you can get a ratio that would tell you how high the front sight should be with respect to the rear sight.

I have no data on the dovetails for the Mak and suspect that this is a job for a 'smith.

Best.

Here is my solution:

View

I had MMC install a set of their adjustable Tritium Night Sights to my Mak slide. While this was not a cheap alteration, the "personality" of this little gun completely changed with this addition.

The rear 2 dots are red, the front single dot is green.

MMC does not market a set specifically for the Makarov, I believe the rear unit is for a S&W & the front a Colt.

The Tritium sights (per set) run about $150, installation was $85. You can do this *a lot* cheaper by going with an all black set up (no dots) for $95.90, or a 3-dot or white outline for $101.90. (These are spring 2000 prices). They did an excellent job of machining my slide and fitting the sights, & I have no reservations on recommending them highly.

Thanks, Fadingbreed

I still want to have it refinshed, & after that a trigger job.

The finish selection keeps holding me up. I was considering getting rid of those Pearce grips - they are great for comfort but lousy for CCW carry. Options are pretty limited though - which is a shame & a little hard to understand given the popularity of these guns. Anyway, I wanted to be sure of the grip color before I made a finish selection. But I may end up keeping them & using the gun more for auto & a bedside gun.

A friend tells me a local range is holding some informal combat shoots were a lot of Maks are showing up - I need to try that too!

Hays, I just sent my Bulgie slide to Ashley Outdoors to have a set of Standard Dot tritiums installed...Ashleys are a bar-dot setup which I really like...Have a set of Big dots on a Kimber Ultra-Carry...$95 for sights plus $65 to mill dovetail for front sight.....Turnaround is about 10 days...I'll do a post when I get them back and try em...
FWIW...I heard Beast Ent. was having problems filling orders due to sickness???....

Back