Makarov Range Report

AC's & 45's

I just got back from the range. Wow! I am telling you my "improved trigger" really made a difference. Who would have ever guessed a simple parts swap would turn a gritty trigger into a nice, but still pretty heavy,fairly smooth one.
Up until today I have only ran S&B ammo through my Bulgie. This afternoon I ran 100 rounds each of Novosibirsk fmj and Barnaul hollerpoints through it. I had 8 FFF with the hollow points. The fmjs feed as fast as I can pull the trigger Admittedly the feed ramp is pretty rough. I'll polish it out soon. I don't know how common it is but my Bulgie definitely seems to prefer the "green box" ammo. They shoot right to point of aim at 25yrds. The Barnauls don't seem to even form groups at the same range from my Bulgie.
It is hard to explain but my Bulgie Mak is quickly becoming my favorite fun gun.

Ok guys! It won't actually replace my 45's or even my 9mms as my defensive pistol, but it compliments them very nicely. It is fun though. It is cheaply priced and I am finding it to be very well designed and built.
the price is cheap but it ain't a cheap gun.
The only critcism I have is the lack of a firing pin spring.

Get one you won't be sorry!

Hello. My Bulgarian never hung up on JHPs, but I did notice that on occassion, it NEARLY did as the slide slowed down noticeably and then chambered the round. I merely polished the feed ramp. Since then, it's slickly fed any 9x18Mak round I've cared to feed it from any magazine. Best.

My Bulgie hasn't had a single hiccup with the Baurnal JHP....I've got about 600-700 rounds of it through my Mak so far. It seems as accurate, or even more so, than anything else I've put through it. Great little pistols:D

I have fired several hundred rounds in my two East German Maks. They have very smooth triggers and shoot to point of impact with hardball at 25 yards...

7th

That hasn't been my experience.

Although I have only run 50 rounds through my Bulgarian milsurp so far, the Barnaul preformed admirably.

View

This was indoors at 10 yards, offhand in a Weaver stance. I shot 3 mags with 5 rounds each at this target - other shooting consisted of full 8 round mag loads. No malfunctions of any kind.

The only reason I haven't bought more is due to my substancial inventory of Russian "green box" FMJ that I have to shoot up yet! I also have some Hornady & Cor-Bon that I rotate through my gun as carry ammo. When my green box inventory gets low, my plan is to buy 500 rounds of Barnaul. If it functions & shoots well, it will become my carry ammo. The stuff is priced so that I will be able to use 1 ammo for both range work & carry.

Update!

I have been to the range twice since my initial report, total of 500 rounds.
Yesterday I paid close attention to the FTFs with the Barnaul hollow points. I averaged one jam per mag. I also noticed they were hanging on the rear lower portion of the feed ramp. Just barely hanging. I gentle nudge with my thumb was all it took to dislodge it. When I got home I carefully polished the feed ramp. I simply smoothed out the machine marks. I paid close attention to the lower ramp area. I also used Flitz to mirror polish finish it.
Today I ran 150 of these hollerpoints though it. No jams of any kind. I am happy. I will be happier when I have ~ 850 more through it with no FTFs.

Last night just for curiosity sake I took a closer look at the bullets themselves. I dumped 250 rounds out on the carpet. It doesn't take much looking to pick out quite a few that look physically different. The hollow point mouths actually vary in size. This leads me to beleive the bullet nose contour varies too. If I am correct concerning this inconsistancy, that could easy affect consistent feeding.

However, since I polished the tooling marks from the feed ramp I have had no jams failures to feed.

I am wondering if anybody else has noticed these inconsistancies in the bullet. In many cases the differences are measurable.

Back