Makarov questions??

Alex Johnson

What kind of work has been done on these pistols? I was thinking of buying one to play with. Maybe different sights, checkered front strap, dehorning, new grips, some action work. Does this sound reasonable? I've never more than glanced at them at gunshows and don't know what their is to work with. I hear a lot of people say good things about them and wonder if they couldn't be made better. The price is right.

Alex, I've done everything you mentioned plus complete action and trigger jobs on them. The Makarovs are one of the best sellers I've ever seen. I can't keep them in stock. I took 2 to a gunshow this past weekend and wish I'd taken 20. Those 2 were gone in the first hour. The most difficult thing to get ahold of for these little pistols are the red Russian style grips with the star. Just about everyone seems to want them. George

Somebody had a post on the handguns side that showed a sight where you could buy them for $129.95 with the red grips. You should check that out.

George,

Did you do anything other than a polish when you did your trigger/action job? I did a polish on mine and it feels pretty good. I was wondering if there was anything else that could be done that isn't already explained on makarov.com. I have the Pearce grips and sometime I plan on getting a Beast slide from Karl Bloss. Geoff Beast does a nice job of installing Novak sights on the Mak.

Houndawg, he pretty much covers it. I have reduced the height of the hammer hooks on a couple. The one point he made about the pin fit is a good one. You can't get a consistent pull without good fitting pins. I think he should have mentioned that the stones need sharp 90 degree angles for this kind of work. You assume everyone realizes this but there are sharp angles on knife shaped stones. George

Back