Makarov question

Knox

Inactive
Finally received my new (used) Makarov complete with Cosmoline. Is it necessary to detail strip to remove cosmoline prior to range time or will simple field stripping suffice?

I would field strip it, wipe off as much cosmoline as possable, use a tooth brush and apply as much solvent to the internal workings as possable(soak it) i use hoppes no.9

wipe this off, then submerge the gun (field stripped) in a bucket of hot(tap water hot) water saturated with dawn dishsoap(great de-greaser) work the trigger under the water about 20 times double and single action, take out and rinse.

after dry, apply gun grease to the slide and working parts, and a light coat of oil on everything els,

I get a lot of surplus guns, mostly mausers, and this seems to work to get the gunk off and make em work best.

What I did with mine...

1. Field strip & remove grip.
2. Soak in mineral spirits.
3. Blast every nook & cranny with BrakeClean; let dry.
(Use toothpicks, etc. to get the really hardened cosmo off.)
4. Spray with your favorite gun oil, wipe dry.
5. Apply thin coat of gun grease to rails, etc.

Also, don't forget the magazines. Mine came with cosmoline inside the mags too. Field strip the mags - push that little tab in with a small screwdriver and slide the base of the magazine off. The magazine spring is wicked strong so watch what you're doing when you do this. Clean all magazine parts and lubricate as above.

Enjoy your Mak, they're good.

Owen

They will work, even w/the cosmo,

but I assume that you don't want to get too messy.:) I field stripped mine, removed the grips and went to town with MP-7. I just let it soak on some parts while I cleaned others. I made sure the bore was clear, and that's it.

Last night I detailed it for the first time. I was amazed at how simple the design really is. I found more cosmo under the hammer and sear lockwork, and on the trigger bar. The firing pin channel and extractor groove to. So, I think you should attend to it when you can, you just don't have to do it right away.:)

IMHO all you need to do is field strip it plus remove grips and remove safety and firing pin. Clean(esp. barrel) with any good solvent, oil and reassemble. Then go shoot it.

Thanks for all the good input. Considering that I'm an expanding wheel gunner, I could use some good advice on a good gun grease for the slide and rails.

I've just started using Tetra Gun Grease on the slide & rails (along with their lube and spray on the rest of the piece as needed). I like it a lot.

Not cheap but a little goes a long, long way.

Good luck - let us know how you like your Mak once you take it to the range.

Owen

And you can order it via:

http://www.tetraproducts.com

Back