Makarov Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Will Beararms

I am considering procuring a Makarov as a "knock-about" weapon for concealed carry in harsh conditions and for stowing under a plane when traveling to States that have reciprocal agreements with my State of residence. I have owned two of the Russian versions in the past. If I am not mistaken, there is no firing pin block on these beasts meaning an AD or ND could occur if the pistol is dropped on its hammer. Can someone please confrim or disprove this assumption so that I will not have to assume any longer.
I just can't fly with something that has a high dollar value. I know there is insurance, but I have never come out ahead with insurance and I don't want to take the chance with the current anti-gun climate in our nation. Thank you for your time and assistance. BTW, I am also considering a Taurus 85 or Beretta Tomcat as a possible travel piece.

------------------
"When guns are outlawed;I will be an outlaw."

A guy (Greg B or Greg S) on the www.makarov.com web site did a series of Mak drop test to simulate those that will go into effect in California at the first of the year. Since he was using his own, personal, Mak, he dropped it onto a piece of hard rubber, not concrete. The drops were performed so that it landed on the hammer and sometimes on the backstrap. It did not AD/ND during his tests (primer in empty case & no bullet).

That sounds like a good strategy to me.
The Makarov is dependable, accurate, shoots
a decent (not great, mind you) round, and it
is a real value. Plus, if, for some reason,
it happens to become lost or stolen, you're
not out a week's worth (or more) of net pay.

I have plenty of respect for the Makarov,
esp. mine. I've yet to have a failure to
feed after 600 rounds (FMJ only), although I
have had several instances of the slide not
locking back after the last round. This, I
think, is due to a rogue magazine; I've
finally numbered my magazines so that I can
identify the culprit.

I can't speak from personal experience about
accidental discharges, but the previous post
that mentions makarov.com is a good source of
info. on this question is correct.

BTW, in case anyone is interested in a Maka-
rov, be aware that it's not as slick or easy
shooting (the recoil is a bit sharp) as some
of the pricier guns discussed here, but it IS
a good value and, by all accounts, including
mine, it's VERY reliable. I know the Makarov
will never get the respect it is due for a
variety reasons (caliber, background, price,
etc.), but a person could do far worse than
one of these little Russian-designed imports.
DAL

------------------
Reading "Capitalism: The Unknown Ideal," by Ayn Rand, should be required of every politician and in every high school.

I am thinking of letting go of my Bulgarian Mak with Pierce grips. Comes with five mags, about 500 rounds of ammo. See picture at dd-b.net/RKBA/photos.html (when that server is back up). Let me know if you are interested (I want to get what I put into it...$200 for the gun with grips [and an internal polishing/ramping job] and whatever the ammo (S&B ball, Russian 109gr ball, Hornady & Corbon JHP) is worth. You can get new Mak for that much, but mine has been improved and has a record of about 1700 rounds w/o stops...and I am not taking a loss on a gun I actually like.

Its true that there is no firing pin block on a Makarov, but I don't think one is necessary. If you pick up an unloaded Mak and shake it back and forth you can hear a slight rattle which is the firing pin moving back and forth freely in its channel in the slide (there is no retaining spring so it moves freely). When it is forward in the channel, the tip protrudes through a hole in the breech face. When it is back in the channel, the tip slips back behind the breech face and the other the end of it protrudes into the hammer slot. When a round is chambered, the primer cup pushes the tip of the firing pin so that it moves back in its channel and is held there snugly. In this position, the firing pin cannot move much, if at all. With the safety engaged, the hammer is blocked from striking the pin so a Mak could be dropped like this and very likely not discharge unless the primer cup was particularly sensitive.

These are nice pistols but, for the money people are asking for them these days, I think you can do better. Maks seem to be going for $200 or so at gun shows around here and for that you can get the lighter, smaller and more powerful Kel-Tec P-11.

Have you considered a Bersa 95 or FEG APK? They're a couplf of inexpensive and very reliable 380s. I've seen them for around $200.

------------------
So many pistols, so little money.

I have a FEG APK I got for about $200 :) it's very nice. I bit heavy for it's size, but VERY reliable and nice. I have used a Makarov and it's a nice gun. I like the mag release of the APK better though.
Also it look exactly like a PPK/S :) so you get the James Bond feeling everytime you fire it :)
Neither have a firing pin block, both have a block to prevent the hammer from striking the firing pin when on safe though, and I have screwed with mine, and never an unexpected fire.
Good luck :)

AIM is selling Bulgarian Makarov's for $109.95. These are the ones advertised for $129.95 (more holster wear). If it's as reliable as my East German Makarov, I don't care if 50% of the bluing is gone. For a cheap and relaible knockabout pistol, I don't see how this can be beat... http://www.aimsurplus.com/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back