Makarov or P-11 for summer CCW?

o-town

Which would you pick and why. I wear shorts and a t-shirt and I am looking for a cheap, easily concealable (and reliable) gun for CCW. you can say that the Mak is lacking in power 9X18, but I believe it's all about shot placement. Thanks for the help!

Jason

While you're certainly correct about shot placement, 11 shots of 9mm out of the Keltec placed properly will be more effective than a lesser amount of 9x18 from the Mak. In addition, the Mak is larger and heavier than the Keltec P11...

I agree the P-11 is hard to beat for Summer carry. Get it with either the hardchrome or parkerized finish and between that and the plastic (ahem I mean polymer) grip it`ll be sweat resistant too. I carry mine with the factory belt clip and it conceals easily even with shorts and a sleeveless shirt and the parkerizing has never shown a bit of rust even after spending day after day covered in beads of sweat. The Mak is a great gun,reliable,accurate (more so than the Keltec practicaly speaking) but it`s twice as heavy as the Keltec,much larger,not rust resistant,no belt clip option and hold less ammo with less power. Marcus

I already carry the Makarov. In the past, I have carried the 9x19mm (Glock 26), 45ACP (Glock 30), and .357MAG (Taurus 605). The G26 was confiscated by my wife for her own use. ;) The G30, while a fabulous pistol, was just a tad to big. I still carry it , but only while wearing a really baggy t-shirt. The Taurus did not have the ammo capacity to augment my abilities. (You figure it out. ;) ) The Makarov was just right. It fits my hand, it fits under a modest size shirt, and it fits my pocket too. :) Oh, did I mention that I live in Arizona, where it has been known to get up to 122 degrees in the summer!!!! I think I know a thing, or two about comfortable summer carry. The 9x18Makarov is plenty of cartridge, and the platform is capable of 3in groups at 25yds. :D

Check this out...

For "summer carry" thw Kel-Tec rules. But the Mak is a much higher quality piece. It takes a little "tuning" to get a KT into shape.

You should check out the Kel-tec owners group, for some good info on mods to make the KT more friendly.

http://www.ktog.org/

Out of the box the KT trigger takes some getting used to, but if you like to "tinker" you can make the KT awful hard to beat!
PP

Jason, Where you been?
I like the Mak, but I came to a realization that it is pretty darn heavy. IF you are summering here in Florida, go with the Kel-tec.
PS I should be at East Orange today around 600 to shoot my Kahr and CZ.

Cobraman,
I've been around, just swamped with school work. It's to late for me to meet you at the range (It's 6:00 now, and i'm at my girlfriends house in Winter Park). However, finals are soon and I really don't have much more schoolwork, so I will be buying a new pistol soon (probably the kel-tec), and would like to go shooting with you. Send me an e-mail. Also, do you know of any gun shows in the near future? I'd really like to pick up the kel-tec soon. Also, which kahr do you own?

I think the makarov is a much better pistol , quality & price wise. As for the power factor , the mak has plenty of power more than enough to get the job done as with any caliber you need to hit what your aiming at. I think the Makarov is the way to go. I have two and love them both and I own a lot of very expensive pistols with larger calibers, but it's something about this gun that's just right.

Back