makarov in competition shooting

makugooh

Inactive
i want to shoot in idpa competition but i'm on a budget. my only handgun is a used 9mm bulgarian makarov that I got about 1 year ago for 180 bucks. I've been shooting it weekly since I bought it. I use 100 gr. wolf brand ammo because I was given a box with the gun and been have able to get it so cheap. I've grown to love the little gun and am very comfortable with it, and I want to use it in idpa and maybe one day when i'm good enough three gun.

Does anyone else uses a 9mm makarov in idpa competition? Could you share your experience with me especially when it come to ammo choices.

Thanks in advance!!

9mm Makarov does not make power factor 125,000 with any ammunition I have ever heard of and is not allowable in sanctioned IDPA competition.
If you explain at the local club that it is all you own, they will probably let you shoot it. Can't hurt to ask.

Everyone knows...

that a 9mm Makarov isn't 'practical enough' in a practical pistol fight. See the I Don't Practice Anymore Rule Book section number...number...number something.

Gee, Hotdog, while you are resting from your hatchet job on IDPA, could you let us know which organizations do allow the Makarov in competition?
Not IPSC, IDSA, or TSA; they all have power factor requirements like IDPA.

This may be a stupid question,

but if I don't ask, I may never know.

What is the "power factor" in IDPA, IPSC, etc.? And how is it calculated?

Power factor is calculated by multiplying the bullet weight in grains by the velocity in FPS, then dividing by 1000 depending on which rule book you're looking at. IDPA doesn't divide by 1000, USPSA does. I would suggest contacting your local IDPA or USPSA club. Tell them your situation, and they'll probably let you compete with our Mak anyway, or more likely someone in the club will loan you a gun to use. I recently switched from a Glock 35 to a Wilson 1911 and now my Glock is available as a "club loaner."

I use mine for pin shoots.

Knocks the pins down. What else would you need?
Tell the jugdes you only own a Mak. They will likely let you compete provided it's not national level competition.
If I had to have one autoloader, it would be a Mak. You did right with the gun, I hope the officials realize that, too.
Steve

To quote usually reliable sources (me, glockopop, and Steve)
GO SHOOTING

The Mak does not meet power factor* requirements but nearly any local club will be very accomodating to get you started. For IDPA you will need your pistol, a strong side straight draw belt, paddle, or IWB holster, at least three magazines, and belt carrier for two. Eye and ear protection and a concealment garment - jacket, vest, or longtailed overshirt - are required.
For IPSC you don't carry concealed but will need many magazines, at least five with four on the belt.

*Power factor, that Wolf brand ammunition is listed as a 100 grain bullet at 1017 fps. 100x1017 = 101,700 or divide by 1000 = 101.7. Strictly speaking you need power factor 125,000 - 125 for IDPA or IPSC which is not doable with a Mak; but like we say, they will probably let it slide to get you started in the sport.

Power factor

I've shot IDPA a couple times and used a .45, so power factor was not "a factor". But I haven't asked before so I don't know why there is a hang up on power. Scoring is based on speed and accuracy (I can handle one out of two) so where does the power come in. Also, I have read the rule book, but I think I need tutoring on the different gun classes. I like the idea of play acting scenarios, but the bureaucracy seems to get in the way of the fun.

Bullseye shooting is pretty straight forward. $.02

Joe D. & Mr. Watson,

I just came back from a little run-in with a group of MS-13 members at a local park. You can bet one or more of those creeps had a 9 Makarove equivilent in his filth infestested pants. I don't think any of them are too concerned with power factor or someones ideal of what is meant by the word 'practical'. Also in abscence were clipboards & timers. An I ain't the only one around here with a infestation of MS-13 termites.

IDPA is a game. Don't take everything so seriously. And yes, Joe D., I did shoot a classifier and I was in the highest national ranking group possible w/ a .45acp 1911. It wasn't all that difficult.

I just came back from a little run-in with a group of MS-13 members at a local park. You can bet one or more of those creeps had a 9 Makarove

Ah, but the question is, did YOU have a Makarove, Hotdog?

I know I wouldn't because I can't hit crap with a Makarov. The SOB has a tough trigger, tiny sights, and recoil all out of proportion to its power. I would not compete with one if it were allowed and I do not depend on one for self defense. The Makarov is a sturdy cheap gun but that is about all I will admit. I hope the local club lets makugooh shoot his because he can have fun and get better with it, too.

All this "power factor" talk is only relevant to the winners. If your pistol doesn't meet the power factor requirement, then you're DQ'ed from placing in the competition. But, if the guys running the match are cool, they'll still let you participate. Just show up, and use your pistol.

That's how I do it. I'm not a good enough shooter to win anything, so when I go, it's just for personal amusement/training. I go, I shoot, I have a great time. I don't worry about winning, and I don't worry about the rules. (I think my 1911 is within spec for IDPA, but I'm not sure, and I don't care one way or the other!)

And, as my father-in-law says: "Nobody cares whether the person who finished last cheated!"

I just came back from a little run-in with a group of MS-13 members at a local park. You can bet one or more of those creeps had a 9 Makarove equivilent in his filth infestested pants. I don't think any of them are too concerned with power factor or someones ideal of what is meant by the word 'practical'. Also in abscence were clipboards & timers. An I ain't the only one around here with a infestation of MS-13 termites.
What's the equivalent to a 9mm Makarov? :confused:

Better question: What's an MS-13? You've been shooting termites with a Makarov???

Even better question: What's that got to do with competition shooting???

I'm really confused...:confused:

MS 13 is a criminal gang, the El Salvadorian "mafia."

They ought to be classed as varmints, no closed season, no limit, but doubt that is politically possible. Doubt they shoot in many organized matches, which was the original subject for this thread.

Back