Makarov ID Problem

MacMakarov

Inactive
I am a Makarov newbie having just obtained a Mak at a local pawnbroker. One side bears a Centruy Arms International stamp (CAI ST ALB VT) as well as being double stamped 'GERMANY'. The other side has "CZECH", a "61" and also has a lower case 'y' surrounded by five stars. Serial numbers (AZ 3891) match and pistol has Russian Red Star bakelite grips. Pistol came with a Russian Brown Holster (not the burgundy)and an unused extra mag. The pistol is NOT a CZ, FEG, etc. It is most definitely a Mak (or its identical twin!) What attribution is this weapon? All of us are scratching our heads. Any information appreciated.
Thanks, Mac.

Thanks to Alamo for the lead on Makarov Markings. Unfortunately the markings on my pistol do not match ANY of the markings shown at MakarovInfo.com or makarov.com.

I did get a lead via e-mail that the "lower case y" is the upper case U in the Cyrillic Alphabet. Anyone know anything about Russian Arms Manufactures markings?

I am NOT trying to insult anyone but he markings CAI ST ALB VT, GERMANY & CZECH were added by the importer and are NOT original to the pistol.

The only orginal marks I can see are the matched serial numbers and the "y" with the arc of 5 stars around it.
Thanks again for looking and helping. - Mac

[Edited by MacMakarov on 02-07-2001 at 12:26 PM]

The lower case "y" means "uchebnii" or "for training" in most uses with Russian military equipment. Other than that, all I can tell you is that those markings sound quite unusual. You might write to Valerii Shilin in Izhevsk, Russia, if you really want to research the question in detail. Check his site at http://club.guns.ru.

Back