Makarov FTFs

Hays

I took my newly purchased EG Mak to the range for the first time today. I was very pleased with the accuracy of this pistol when the gun fired. Unfortunately, I had many FTFs. They were sporadic, but I had a least one per magazine, sometimes as many as three.

I examined the bullets that did not fire, and it noticed that each one had a very light indentation on the primer - almost a scratch. The spent casings I examined had a much deeper indentation on the primer. What could be causing the varying primer strikes? Thanks in advance for your help.

[Edited by Hays on 12-19-2000 at 12:23 AM]

Just a guess here but may be dirt in firing pin slot.
On the mak it does not have a spring for the pin, so
if dirt, grease plug the hole it is slow or won't fire
correct. Clean.!!
Also you dident say type of ammo, could be surplus of
some type with hard primers.

Cosmoline in the firing pin channel. I cleaned my Mak 3 times before I realized the gun wasn't a reddish brown color from all the cosmoline.

Thanks for your replies. Per your recommendations, I cleaned the firing pin chamber tonight, but it was fairly clean. I was using some of the green box (LVE) surplus ammo, so maybe it was the culprit. I'll get something else and try it. Recommendations on plinking ammo?

I don't think you'll have any more problems if the firing channel is cleared (I spray Gun Scrubber in there) The green box ammo has always worked fine in all my maks.

That's a bummer, my Russian model has always fired ANYTHING clean or dirty. Mine is free of cosmoline though...

Try a different brand of ammo

That green surplus is probably Norinco which is reputed to be dirty and (in some batches) unreliable.

What do you want from a makarov? If you want "Perfection", get a Glock. If you want "Reliability", get a SIG. If you want it to work, get a gun. ;) (I just don't like makarovs and couldn't resist.)

The only way I know of that your FTF could have occured is for the travel of the firing pin to be slowed by goop such as hardened grease or cosmoline slowing it's travel or if the firing pin is somehow bent.

I have shot about 150 pounds of green box (Norinco) ammo and never had a problem. In fact I prefer the Norinco ammo.

I have heard of some VERY goopy Makarovs coming into the country with grease hardened into varnish, and cosmoline that was virtually entombing the pistol.

And as far as Blades67; "What do you want from a makarov? If you want "Perfection", get a Glock. If you want "Reliability", get a SIG. If you want it to work, get a gun. (I just don't like makarovs and couldn't resist.)"

It is a shame that some folks are just plain offended by perfection; Glocks and Sigs are great; Makarovs are the finest pistol ever made. Even Christ had detractors! Blade I forgive you for your blasphemy against the holy Makarov. May you go in peace. :)

Sincerely,
Rev. Makarov (as I am sometimes called)

I have read of Mak problems with the safety mech being bad and the safety trying to engage at times when the trigger is being pulled causing a similar problem as yours. Post your problem or do a search on makarov.com as I have seen info about this problem there.

I think there is a problem with the EG Maks, others have reported the same problem with theirs. I had the identical problem with my EG, but not with my Russian or Bulgarian.

Remember, the EG Maks are used and even if they look like new we don't know how may rounds went through them before we obtained them. Maybe they need new main springs?

It sounds like the firing pin is floating somewhat into position due to the slight scratches you mention. (Since it is a free floating pin, it will leave a mark on the primer when the round is sent into the chamber - something I learned here!). I haven't had any problems with Norinco or Russian ammo in mine. I've put 6-700 rounds through without 1 failure of any kind. I clean mine every time I use it. I would start by switching ammo and checking the firing pin. To see if it's floating, tap the unloaded gun on the floor muzzle down and then look at the back of the firing pin, it should be flush. Then tap it on the floor, muzzle up, the pin should have floated back about 1-2mm. Then remove the firing pin and make sure it is not bent or malformed. If it is, you should be able to locate one at makarov.com.
Good luck. Maks are great. I'm partial to my EG.
Hoppy

Sounds like maybe a hardened chunk of grease or something that, as the thing cycles, get in the way sometimes and not other times. Clean it well and inspect the firing pin for obvious problems.

At least one of the Russian arsenals boxes their ammos in green boxes with a bar code on the left flap, bullet mass on the right flap, and "Cartridges 9x18mm 'Makarov'" on the front, along with the velocity in meters per second. The cartridges are copper washed steel cased, FMJ, with red sealer.

I've only had problems shooting the Hornandy JHP through my E.German Mak.

Back