Makarov front sight

PolarFBear

Used a "safe queen" Makarov to test some .380 LFP loads. Loads and Mak did fine. But, determined the front sight on the Makarov is sub-par. It is even less easy to see than an old military 1911. Anyone changed or made an improvement to an old Russian Makarov?

There was a website (makarov.com, maybe?) that used to mill Mak's for dovetail front and rear sights; I think they used Novak's '.380' rear, not sure on the front.

Other than milling it, I'm not sure what options you would have-

Larry

Used a "safe queen" Makarov to test some .380 LFP loads. Loads and Mak did fine. But, determined the front sight on the Makarov is sub-par. It is even less easy to see than an old military 1911. Anyone changed or made an improvement to an old Russian Makarov?

I took mine to my mill cut a transverse dovetail and fit a transverse dovetail front sight. Blended the sight to match the radius of the slide, looks and works well.

Best Regards
Bob Hunter

Did you use the stock rear, Bob? Any pix?

I've thought of doing the same a couple times, but would want to swap the rear out for a Novak, also-

Thanks,

Larry

Sights weren't needed to execute people by glorious NKVD/KGB agent in defense of the Workers' Paradise. Do as Bob Hunter did and have some dovetails milled into it.

Sights weren't needed for the Makarov's primary role, execution of peasants and dissenters. But if you must, send it to XS Sights and have them install a tritium front and rear.

Back