Makarov 9mm...good or junk?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Buhma

Inactive
I have seen alot of these inexpensive guns at gun shows and was wondering if they are any good. Opinions?

Had a Makarov .380 and loved it! Extremely reliable. Well worth the inexpensive cost.

------------------
DAH BIG DAWG'S ON DUTY

I think it depends on when and where it was made.

The East German Makarovs are considered excellent guns, with highly refined, smooth actions. The Bulgarian, Romanian, Chinese, and some Russian guns aren't the same quality.

(Please understand that these are not the standard 9mms, but *9mm Makarov*, which is a smaller cartridge that is slightly less powerful but slightly more expensive than a standard 9mm Luger/Parabellum round.)

I hope we get more responses on this thread. I've been shooting a 9 mm Makarov. I'll find out where it was made exactly.

I'm just learning to shoot but have tried quite a few hand guns thus far. .44's, 45's, .357's

The Makarov has been my least favorite. I guess for the money, it would get the job done as far as home defense. If I were working law enforcement, it would not be my choice.
I guess it depends on what you want to use it for Buhma.

------------------
The whole secret of a successful life is to find out what it is one's destiny to do, and then do it.
HENRY FORD, "Success," Forum, October 1928

I have a Russian Makarov in 9X18. I think it is an excellent buy for a carry gun if price is a big consideration. The 9X18 is essentially a .380 with slightly more power, but isn't comparable to the 9X19. All that I have known about have proven to be very reliable. No, it wouldn't be my choice as a duty gun, but I have never felt handicapped when I carried it. Jerry

I believe the ones made prior to the falling of the wall are the quality pieces, and the later commercial ones are fairly rough or "Hit & Miss" on quality. I had an early east German Mak in 9x18 Makarov that was very well made indeed and quite accurate. I've handled later commercial models and was not impressed. The older ones have a more polished appearance and are obviously used. Not the best weapon in the world, but you could sure do a lot worse.

------------------
TJS

Hey, count me as a Makarov fan! These guns are very well made, sort of like a tank (and about as heavy). They are truely one of the most famous/infamous guns in the world. I really love my Bulgarian Mak. Very accurate and perfectly reliable. It isn't my first choice as a carry gun, but who says every gun you buy is going to be carried? I say go for it! Buy it, shoot it, but remember, "VE HAVE VAYS OF MAKING YOU TALK!!!!" :)

I have an East German Makarov, made in 1962 (was is carried by Stasi? I don't know, but I'd like to hear it tell stories), and I love it. It's been 100% reliable with any load I've been able to find for it. Surplus ammo is cheap, and new mfg by Sellier&Bellot, Fiocchi, and several others isn't any more expensive than 9mm para by the same manufacturers.

I have one of the Falco made, leather shoulder holster, that is offered through www.makarov.com and it's pretty sweet. Spare 8-round magazines are cheap at $5-$7 each.

I stayed away from the 10round, "hi-cap" Makarovs as I've heard their mags don't function particularly well. You can use 8-round mags in them, which is a saving grace.

You'll have a hard time going wrong with a Mak, especially an EG Mak.

[This message has been edited by Destructo6 (edited September 04, 1999).]

Thanks for the replies. No, I didn't plan on getting a Makarov for a carry weapon. I have a S&W M19 for that. I just wanted something inexpensive and fun to shoot. For the price of my M19 I could get 3 Maks :) And from the replies, next time I see one, I'll pick one up.

Buy one, you'll enjoy it it. If you're comfortable carrying a .380 (ppk, etc.) then a Mak makes a fine carry gun, it is certainly more reliable than a PPK. Corbon makes excellent 9x18 hollowpoint ammo for maks. Go for it.

[This message has been edited by glockorama (edited September 05, 1999).]

The Makarov was the standard service pistol of the USSR and still is the Russian service pistol. It is designed for fast point shooting, the kind needed in close quarters combat. Like any military pistol, it was never designed or intended for long range or precision target shooting.

Within its parameters, it is a very good gun, and I highly recommend it. Some are less nicely finished than others, but they all seem to be totally reliable.

Jim

The gun I've been shooting (which belongs to a family member), has printed on the top of the box (Baikal) Russian Makarov Double Action High Caliber Semi Auto 9x18.

I like what one of the guys said about this not being the best choice for target shooting, although, it is a good choice for home defense. I think my brother in law spent right at $100 for the gun.

I also have the Russain Bakail for about five years now. Never has had a misfire with over 3K rounds through it. I would not hesitate using it as a CCW but of course that is next to impossible in Maryland.

[This message has been edited by JBP (edited September 05, 1999).]

I just had something nasty happen with my Makarov and Hornandy JHP. Of 16, 3 to 4 Hornandy Custom JHPs, in 9x18, must have blown their primers or something. On each occurance, burnt powder and gas was vented backward, through the firing pin hole, and into my face (nothing my glasses wouldn't stop, though). Also, they wouldn't lock the slide back on the last round, but I think I'll attribute that to the lost pressure. Finally, after about the second incident, I racked the slide to inspect the fresh cartridge and the mouth of the hollowpoint had been smashed and generally ovalized during chambering.

I can't blame the gun because I then ran 50 rounds of Fiocchi 9x18 JHP and then 100 rounds of Norinco FMJ through it without a single glitch.

Thought someone might like to know.

Buhma,

If you're looking for an inexpensive, totally reliable fun gun to shoot, then buy a Makarov by all means. I've had one in 9x18 for over 5 years, and a 380 for about two yaers and I love them both. The 380 has a bit less recoil, although the 9x18 isn't a hard recoiling gun.

Whichever one you buy, add Pearce grips to it and you'll enjoy it more.

Both of mine are Russian Baikal models. They're a bit rougher in workmanship than the East german surplus guns, but at @ $160.00, they're one of the best buys in the pistol market today. Ammo is readily available in either relatively inexpensive surplus or moderately priced commercial production.

The Mak is a good house gun or a good carry pistol, depending upon your needs. Enjoy!

Nazman

I have several handguns, but if I had to keep only one, it would be my Bulgarian Mak with Pierce rubber grips (9x18). Something about reliability in a reasonably-sized package that appeals to me...and it points well and has been 100% reliable over 1,5K of round fired, incl. utter junk ammo.

I have two E.Germans, a Bulgarian, and a Russian. They are some of my favorite pistols. All but the russian have been problem free... the russian wouldn't feed hollow points until the ramp was re-polished by a gunsmith. I carry a Mak at least three times a week.

If you can still find an East German, by all means purchase it. Lately, I've only seen Baikils and Arsenal-produced Bulgarians (which, BTW are brand spankin' new). Avoid the .380......the 9mmMak has a bit more power and is available cheaply in bulk.

I think Makarov is the best buy for the money. I have a Russian Baikal in 9x18, and have not experienced any problems with it. 100 percent reliable with CCI Blazer GDHPs as well as with FMJs.

Mak is not a target gun, but quite accurate for it's size. Get A hits with it on IPSC target from 25 meters (and closer) every time I make my part. Carrying a Mak is much better than a mouse guns since with a Mak it is nearly as easy to shoot and to hit than with a full-size weapon. At least for me, since I have relatively small hands.

Ossi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back