Mak ?

cobraman

What is name of the Importers of the Different Maks? I saw one this weekend with black plastic grips and the tag said I.M.E.Z./something(not sure what) The price was 169 which I thought was high. Anybody know what the origin of this pistol is?

My experience with having an East German and a Russian for a year and firing about 1500 rounds thru each is that they are both the same accuracy wise and ultra dependable.

The overall finish on the E.G. is nicer and it feels "softer" in your hands, the Russian has a hard sharp edged feeling. Trigger was slightly smoother for the German.

I found the sights on the Russian easier to see but watch that rear sight screw, mine just flew off one day and I never found it, a common problem. A pistolsmith was able to adapt a High Standard screw which actually worked better than the original!

If you are thinking concealed carry, the Russian's rear sight will definitely be a snag problem, go with a German or Bulgarian.

1. Go to makarov.com they have a complete list of Makarov and Makarov-like guns.

2. That was probably a Feg-63, a gun similar to the Makarov and chambered in 9x19 Mak, but different in detail.

3. I second the notion to get a German or Bulgarian Makarov.

If the stamp said "IMEZ," that means the gun is Russian, not Hungarian like the FEG-63. IMEZ - Izhvesk Mechanical Factory, literally translated. It's the factory where the gun was produced.

If it has adjustable sights, it's a commercial variant. If it has fixed sights, it's a military pistol. Both are very good and you can learn more about them at <a href="http://www.makarov.com/" target="_blank">Makarov.com</a>

Back