Mak problem... Hammer dropping??

Bob S

Occasionally, when I jack the slide on an empty magazine, then hit the slide release, the hammer on my Bulgarian Mak will fall as the slide closes. 95% of the time, the hammer stays cocked as it should, but the other 5% it falls with the slide, but does not appear to hit the firing pin. (the trigger is not pulled when this is happening) This has never happened at the range, but I only have 100 rounds through it! Here are my questions:

1. Will this cause the weapon to slam fire? As I said, it appears that the hammer does not hit the firing pin when it drops. Is there a "trigger safety" that requires the trigger to be pulled before the gun will fire?

2. Is this a problem common to maks?

3. How do I fix it, and is it a cheap fix... I hope!!

Don't worry, I'm not going to load any ammo into it until I figure the problem out. I thought about going to the range and safely testing the problem to see if it actually would slam fire, but just havent had time. Any help you mak experts could give me would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks.

Hello, Bob S. I own but one Makarov and am no expert at all in their problems, which I understand are few. I suggest that you go to http://www.makarov.com and see if their site mentions this problem. If not, contact Mr. Bloss there and I'll bet he can tell you what's causing the problem and how to fix it. This gentleman is one of the very best "good guys" and will help you. The site is one of the most informative I've seen. Best.

Hmmmmm. I have never heard of this problem in a Mak. Did you buy the Mak new or used? You may want to check to see if the safety is worn. If you push the safety up past the "safe" position it should drop the hammer and I am wondering if it is perhaps worn down to the point where it releases the hammer when you release the slide.
<shrug> I'm no expert. Someone at Makarov.com will help you.

Back