Mak, Mak, Mak...

Thumper

all you guys ever talk about...man! Okay, I'll admit it: Truly great gun. Trigger could definitely use some help, though. Does anyone have a resourse (preferably online) for tuning up the trigger?

I have three. An EG, a Russian comm, and a Bul. The triggers smoothed out real quickly on mine, and I don't feel any necessity for a trigger job. I don't have any quarrel with those who do get some custom work done on a MAK. However, the beauty of the MAK to me is a cheap gun that is as rugged and reliable as they get. If I did have custom work done on mine it would be to get better sights. Jerry

Yeah...

I agree. I meant doing the work myself. I don't mind the judicious application of a dremel on a gun I have $125 in.

If your Mak is new, don't do any trigger work on it until you have several hundred rounds through it. It could very well slick up with just that.

Thanks, D...

but Mike Dillon has already enabled me to put 5k+ rounds through the gun...let off is still a little mushy. Not bad, but I'm sure it can be improved. I tote this little gun a lot in an Alessi ankle rig, so it's pretty banged up. I wouldn't mind trying some action work myself. It ain't my first time...That URL Stephen mentioned is great,by the way

Thumper, I have done about half-a-dozen Mak trigger jobs, and let me send you one piece of advice. Don't alter the angles on the sear or the hammer when you are polishing the contact surfaces! The instructions on http://www.makarov.com are great, but just heed this warning. The first one I did was one of mine (thank goodness) and I decided to be a bit more liberal with the stone than need be. And let me tell you, between the stonework and some spring manipulation, I could get one heck of a trigger pull out of my little German friend! (4.5 lbs. DA, 2.5 SA). It was scary! But in the process, two things happened. One was that the main spring that determines your trigger weight also is the spring that gives the hammer it's power to ignite those nice hard military primers. If you lighten that up too much, you will start getting FTFs like crazy. The second thing is that if you take too much metal off or change the angle of the sear (or hammer), you will create a condition where the hammer will not stay back when the slide is closed. Possibly creating a ND situation, something we do NOT want!! The good thing about Maks is that if you screw the trigger work up, $45 bucks for a new sear and hammer and you are back in business! Just remember, follow the instructions, get the trigger to where it feels good and stop! Have fun, I love working with those guns! -JHP

Back