Mak-90

Bushwhacker

Can anyone tell me the pro's and cons about the Mak-90?
What's agood price for a pre-ban,post-ban etc.

web sites?

------------------
Tiro per divertimento, tiro per la sopravvivenza

I have a pre-ban MAK-90 (Chinese) with an AK-74 type muzzle brake and a post-ban WUM-1 (Romanian in 7.62x39) with a "Made by me" muzzle brake, so I'll compare the two.

The MAK's trigger group is designed specifically as a semi auto. It has two hooks on the trigger vs the WUM's one. The WUM's trigger group looked like it was adapted directly from the military rifles and simply omitted any auto components in favor of spacer discs to take up slack.

The MAK's mag release is a little longer and wider than the WUM, so it's easier to manipulate.

The MAK's finish is simply thin blued steel vs the WUM's thick black (phosphate or parkerize?) finish.

Accuracy on the MAK is pretty impressive in my opinion. I've made some pretty good snap shots with it on rabbits (yes, rabbits with an AK). I was able to double tap a rabbit, offhand, from 100yds when the thing made the mistake of stopping to take a look at me. At one range, we were shooting at a plastic pole, about 2 inches in diameter, from 175-200yds and were able to hit it every time.

About the only gripes with the MAK is that the gas tube rattles like crazy on mine and the finish is a bit cheap. Other than that, no problems, no jams, no nothing! It's an AK!

Unless you don't have a choice, avoid the new AK's with the single column magazines.

[This message has been edited by Destructo6 (edited May 25, 1999).]

I have had one for several years and have enjoyed it. Never had much problem at all.

I put one of those AKU Bull pup conversion kits on it and itis still very reliable and fun to shoot.. though the trigger is now horrible.

I have a post-ban rifle. No flash hider, muzzle brake, whatever. The department sniper and I were out at the range shooting at steel chickens at 200 meters. The sniper couldn't connect with his scoped Remington 700, but we both had a ball knocking down the chickens with the MAK-90. We were probably connecting one in three shots average.

------------------
Bruce Stanton

Couldn't hit steel chickens at 200 meters with a scoped Rem 700? Thats sad. Take it away from him and give him a shotgun.

Chuck

Poor sniper probably didn't have the scope mounted, or dialed in right... Take him back to the 25 yard line and have hiim rezero that thing!

------------------
RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE

I have a Maadi and I love it!!, put a USAK-97 stock kit and it looks cool!! If nobody has shown you how to make it a poor man's machine gun(legal) then you are really missing out!!
Later
Daren

Back