Mainspring and titanium FP

Gunslick

Is it ok to run a 23lb mainspring with titanium firing pin in my Springfield. It came brand new with standard MsH so I wonder if the stock spring is #23. Reason I ask i ordered the ed brown pin set and it comes with #23 mainspring I was going to replace the Springfield spring with the #23. Wanna make sure with titanium f p the new spring will work with good ignition.

OP,the best way to find out what your pistol's mainspring specs are is to call
Sprinfgfield and ask and while you are at it discuss with them the advantages
or disadvantages of replacing parts that may not need replacement.

Install them and try it.

23# sounds a bit heavy for standard 45ACP, but I have a 24# in my steel RIA that functions fine, but then sometimes I'm running 200gr XTPs @ 1000fps too...............

Springfield uses a 28-pound mainspring with the Infernal [sic] Locking System. Most 1911 folks replace the whole Springfield MSH with a standard one to get rid of the ILS.

Be advised that with the ILS Springfield does not use a mainspring cap retainer pin -- the ILS is the retainer. If you don't have the lock in the locked position, be prepared for the spring and cap to be launched.

Springfield has ditched the ILS, so I think the question is, is Springfield still using a non-spec mainspring with the non-ILS mainspring housing?
I'd probably change to a steel firing pin, so I wouldn't have to worry about a proprietary spring/pin combination.

The springfield ILS housing uses a different spring AND cap/cup than standard. I boughrlt an ed brown arched grooved MSH and a retaining pin, and used the stock spring and cup. Well installing the retaining pin and putting the gun all back together yielded a non functioning pistol. So i may get a standard spring and cup one day

As for the titanium firing pin, titanium is extremely strong and heat resistant, i think you would be fine keeping it.

Back