Mags don't drop free in FEG HiPower

Status
Not open for further replies.

jamesdavid

Inactive
Hi,

My mags won't drop free in my hipower clone. They are rubbing before they hit the mag safety, on the flat metal piece towards the rear of the gun. Can this piece be removed or replaced with a less arched one?

Also, I noticed when I was peering down the well with a flashlight that there were reddish areas on the bluing, even on the outside of the gun. Yet the bluing looks perfect in normal light. Is this normal for bluing? I've been very careful about wiping it down with an oiled rag after handling it, and the usual desiccant in the gun safe, etc.

Thanks

Same thing happens with Browning versions of the High Power. The only way to make the mag drop free is to remove the magazine safety.

insert the mags a lot, then where the "rub" marks appear sand them down as they are not as "true" as they should be.
Burrs inside the well might be the culprit too...
Don't know 'bout the red stuff...
Might be their version of Cosmoline ?

------------------
"The Gun from Down Under !"
http://www.para1911fanclub.w3.to/
E-mail hotshot_2000@hotmail.com
Alternate E-mail
HS2000@ausi.com

I don't know about the FEG clone, but on the Browning HP, mags don't drop free due to the mag saftey. With a little practice a short quick down and then up snap of the wrist will pop the mag out. Once you get the hang of it, no problem. Polishing the face of the mag saftey button where it contacts the magazine will help.
The only other cure is to remove the mag saftey. I do not recommend removal of any saftey device on any firearm. It opens a door for liability issues if you are ever involved in a shooting.
The flat metal piece in the rear of the mag well is the sear spring. Don't mess with it.
The reddish areas are simply a trick of the light on an oiled surface. As long as everything looks good under normal light, I wouldn't worry about it.

Most discerning people think of a handgun as a defensive weapon.Something for a good guy to use against a bad guy. In this context, I want my defensive handgun to be as reliable as I can make it. I dont like magazine safeties. They almost always have a downside. You mention that it impairs the free-fall of magazines. In addition, it usually messes up the trigger pull.
I heard a story about a Texas Ranger who carried a cocked and locked 1911.Someone told him that was very dangerous.He responded that if it were not dangerous he would have no use for it.
Let free people exercise their right to keep and bear arms. William Shakespeare had it right in his comments on the tort system. Ask OJ.
I agree with with Grayfox's analysis of the legalities, but in a life or death situation you might find yourself willing to disregard the threat of civil suits. Think about it and decide for yourself.

------------------
Better days to be,

Ed

I always remove the mag saftey in hi-powers. I don't like the feature and it really improves the trigger. The flat piece of metal you spoke of is a spring, and it may not be set drrp enough in the grip frame to allow it to clear the magazine. This was the case in my FEG clone. I dissasembled it and removed some of the metal from the recess behind the spring. If you feel comfortable with it, you can try this and it should solve your problem.

-Senco

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back