Magnum Research BFR Grip

BillSussman

I'm debating purchasing a Magnum Research BFR 7.5" in 500 S&W and was wondering how the grip compares to that of a Super Blackhawk?

The rubber grips that my Casull came with are very comfortable to shoot. They both fill the hand and fill in behind the trigger guard to prevent knuckle pounding.

IUnji55.jpg

The rubber grips that my Casull came with are very comfortable to shoot. They both fill the hand and fill in behind the trigger guard to prevent knuckle pounding.

IUnji55.jpg
Thanks for the reply. I assume when you grip it your pinky rests underneath as you would with the Ruger plow handle grips?

No, the pinky fits on the front of the grip, not underneath. I wear a Large glove and can still get all fingers on the grip.

I assume when you grip it your pinky rests underneath as you would with the Ruger plow handle grips?

While I don't know the .500 other than reading about it, I do know .44Mag/.45 Colt heavy loads. Putting your pinky under the grip is fine for light recoiling rounds but for magnum levels, its not such a good idea. A .38 won't try to dislocate your finger, a .44 Magnum, will.

The old "plow handle" wood grips were designed in an era before really heavy levels of recoil existed. Colt SAA's shot a 250gr slug in the 900fps range, or less. For that, they work well enough. GO heavier and they don't, at least, for me.

All my heavy recoil Ruger Blackhawks wear oversize rubber grips. Not only do they fill in behind the trigger guard, but they are enough longer (taller??) that all fingers fit on the grip, none go underneath. I wear a size 8.5 glove and its very snug. Size 9 for general comfort.

I'd recommend you handle both the BFR and the Super Blackhawk, side by side, if possible. Nobody across the internet can tell you how a gun will feel in your hands.

While I don't know the .500 other than reading about it, I do know .44Mag/.45 Colt heavy loads. Putting your pinky under the grip is fine for light recoiling rounds but for magnum levels, its not such a good idea. A .38 won't try to dislocate your finger, a .44 Magnum, will.

The old "plow handle" wood grips were designed in an era before really heavy levels of recoil existed. Colt SAA's shot a 250gr slug in the 900fps range, or less. For that, they work well enough. GO heavier and they don't, at least, for me.

All my heavy recoil Ruger Blackhawks wear oversize rubber grips. Not only do they fill in behind the trigger guard, but they are enough longer (taller??) that all fingers fit on the grip, none go underneath. I wear a size 8.5 glove and its very snug. Size 9 for general comfort.

I'd recommend you handle both the BFR and the Super Blackhawk, side by side, if possible. Nobody across the internet can tell you how a gun will feel in your hands.
I put my finger underneath on my Ruger Blackhawk with 357 loads and my Super Blackhawk with 44 loads with the standard wooden grips. I'm sure over sized rubber grips help with the recoil but I could never bring myself to do it. A Blackhawk with oversized rubber grips to me is the same as a pretty girl with short hair. ;)

Handling the BFR before purchase isn't an option since it's 800km away which is why I asked if the grip was similar to a Super Blackhawk.

A Blackhawk with oversized rubber grips to me is the same as a pretty girl with short hair.

Ok, I get that. Your gun, your choice. For me, I prefer function over fashion, and I just shoot them better and with less punishment using oversize grips.

I also find pretty girls with short hair still pretty. Sometimes, even more so..:D

Ok, I get that. Your gun, your choice. For me, I prefer function over fashion, and I just shoot them better and with less punishment using oversize grips.

I also find pretty girls with short hair still pretty. Sometimes, even more so..:D
I don't considering anything fired out of a 44 Magnum punishing... A 350 grain bullet coming out of a S&W 500 at 1850fps is a different story.

Back