Magnum Primers

montana09

I accidentally grabbed a box of Large Pistol Magnum primers at the local sporting goods store, it was mixed in with the other large pistol primers and didn't notice until I was home. Is there any dangers to using magnum primers with non magnum powders? If it's any help the only round I reload for with large pistol primers is .45 Colt in a Ruger Blackhawk. I use Unique powder with 250 grain Berry's bullets (yes I know it's not the "best" or fanciest powder out there, it's what I like to use, I only add this because every time I mention I use Unique someone chimes in that it's a terrible powder choice.) I don't load max hunting loads just casual plinking rounds.

Nope-your OK-no problem using the Magnum primers-unless your at max loads-if so back off your load by about 5% to be safe.
I have used Magnum primers when I had nothing else-and this includes in 9mm.

I only add this because every time I mention I use Unique someone chimes in that it's a terrible powder choice.) I don't load max hunting loads just casual plinking rounds.

What are your casual plinking loads?

Unique has been my go to powder for the .45 Colt since the early 80s.

When you say "a box" do you mean a 100 count box? Set them aside for when you get (or need to use) a slow powder or trade them to a buddy who uses them. OR, go ahead and use them, Magnum primers MAY increase your pressure by as much as 15%. MAY...

Your Ruger won't notice the difference, and you might not, either...

I run 10.0gr Unique with a 250gr SWC and standard primer, from a 7.5" Ruger Blackhawk. Avg 1070fps from my gun.

Your gun won't have a problem with 9.0gr with a magnum primer.

It's possible the magnum primers may look a little more flattened than regular ones, I don't know, but if they do I wouldn't freak.

No I don't see a problem. (in the description) I've done the same on a couple of occasions myself. Then again the pistol you shoot. >A dandy! One having the capability to handle such mishaps in stride. Enjoy you're BlackHawk. Shoot what you have available and reload some more montana09.

Montana09, if it will make you feel better, I started using Unique in the 45 Colt in 1969 and haven't stopped since. Also, in a real Colt SAA.

So, as a synopsis: to hell with all the naysayers. My sister has one also, and she can bust a gourd at 40 yards almost every pull of the trigger. Back in the days, we used to shoot stuff, not much target.

No problem at all. It's likely that the shooting results will be different than those with standard primers.

I'm still searching for a "magnum" powder.... :D

Shoot away, you should be good.
I had a bunch of small magnum primers from when i was shooting 40 S&W. Used them up in 9mm.

I did the same thing a while back & grabbed a thousand CCI #350’s as it was the only box on the shelf. Loaded 45 Colt using them & one thing I did notice was my 1894 Marlin takes two hammer strikes to set them off, no problem in the Vaquero. Should be no problem in your Blackhawk. I do want to check them again the same load with #300’s & see what the velocity difference might be.

I load .44mag for my Rossi R92, Ruger Super Blackhawk and 629 S&W. The only primers I use are magnum large pistol with Universal powder (similar to your Unique), they have been reliable.

Nothing wrong with Unique, used with Magnum primers. Not my first choice for a primer, but aside from full house "Ruger Only" loads, I'd say you're OK...& BTW, Unique is a great powder for the .45 Colt...and 8.0-8.5 grains is my load with ~255 gr LSWC's. HTH's Rod

Back