Magnetic Pistol Mount and Red Dot

Rob228

I just purchased a few magnetic "pistol mounts" off of Amazon, these ones are rated to 40 pounds or so. I installed one in the console of my car and it holds my pistol securely (Shadow Systems MR920L, basically a Glock 17 clone with a 19 sized frame).

So here is my question: Does anyone have experience storing a reddot equipped firearm near a magnet? Any experience with a shift in zero from that magnet? The red-dot I'm using is a Trijicon RMR.

I'll give it a few decent length road trips and hit the range to see if I notice any change in zero and report back, but if anyone has any firsthand experience I'd like to hear what your issues were if any.

Only thing I'd worry about is the battery. Could drain it. I think the zero is set by some sort of tiny screws, no?? So the magnet shouldn't get to messing with that, at least in theory.

All I can tell you for sure is never magnetically mount your pistol to your 8-track player! :D

giphy.gif

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just purchased a few magnetic "pistol mounts" off of Amazon, these ones are rated to 40 pounds or so. I installed one in the console of my car and it holds my pistol securely (Shadow Systems MR920L, basically a Glock 17 clone with a 19 sized frame).

So here is my question: Does anyone have experience storing a reddot equipped firearm near a magnet? Any experience with a shift in zero from that magnet? The red-dot I'm using is a Trijicon RMR.

I'll give it a few decent length road trips and hit the range to see if I notice any change in zero and report back, but if anyone has any firsthand experience I'd like to hear what your issues were if any.

If you don’t find help here regarding that, I’d get with Trijicon and see what they say about mounting a handgun on one of those high powered magnet mounts with one of them red dots installed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Only thing I'd worry about is the battery. Could drain it. I think the zero is set by some sort of tiny screws, no?? So the magnet shouldn't get to messing with that, at least in theory.

I hadn't even thought of the battery. Yes they are held by tiny screws, my thinking is that 'maybe' the magnet is strong enough to move the screws. I'll hit the range after a full week of driving and see how it looks.

Well, yes the unit is head onto the pistol by machine screws... But when you adjust your zero, you're invariably turning a little slotted head screw one direction or the other, yes?? Don't think a magnet would booger with that all too much.

Just keep an eye on that battery. But yes, call manufacturer. I am sure they have done SOME form of torture testing with stuff like that. They might be able to tell you right off the bat.

Back