MAGNAFLUX KIT FOR HOME USE

Status
Not open for further replies.

David

I have been shooting .45 Super lately, and through an acquaintance, have occasional access to x-ray equiipment. I use it to check to see if any cracks or etc. are developing in the guns.

Yesterday, at a HI-LO auto parts store, I came across a kit by Magnaflux, that allows you to check if small fissures or micro-cracks are present in metal parts.

Wow! You know what immediate use for this kit came to my mind. If it works well, you can check your new firearms to spot potential problems, or monitor guns that have a few rounds through them. I recall the kit was about $29 or so, and you can purchase less expensive refills.

Has anyone used this yet? I will try to test it in the next two weeks and give a report.

A "must have" in your shooting box if it works.....

Are you talking about a medical X-ray or an airport x-ray?
If it is the medical x-ray I would be interested in the settings for the x-ray machine? It might turn out to be an interesting project.

Thanks

Dave, if it is the kit with the powder and a magnet, I have used it on cylinder heads before and seems to work great, I would think it would work on a gun. all the times I used it was on cast iron, don't know if works on alumimun, but don't think so.
maybe check the directions.

The weakest part of that system is the cartridge case. The case is generally the first thing to go.I wouldnt worry much as long as you barrel has a minimum unsupported area.

------------------
Vinny

Ihave been using magnaflux for 15 years to detect cracks in railroad wheels. It will show cracks that you need magiflying glass to see. The only trick is not to apply to much dust.

If that magnaflux works like it's touted to, the investment of $30 is worth every penny. It could be useful in examing used guns to detect flaws.

Bear, I didn't see any magnets, like the automotive stuff I remember. Just a spray and developer?

ddunn, this is a specialty x-ray that I couldn't catagorize as either medical or airport. It's resolution is way, way too high.
I have to be careful, these units are rare, and I don't want to get anybody in trouble from our use of the equipment.

Olegunftr, I was not worried about the barrel per se, except maybe the lug, otherwise I was concerned with other parts that might be getting slammed. And it's fun to check it.

I will report when I get a chance to use it. Perhaps test it against the x-ray for accuracy?

The kit you are talking about is a chemical crack detector. The die is usually sprayed on and then wiped off. Then the developer is sprayed on and will highlight leftover die that has seeped into cracks or other defects in the metal. There are several brands but, most work pretty much the same way. Some are designed to glow under ultaviolet light. There are also different formulas for different metals such as cast iron, carbon steel and aluminum. These kits have been used in the auto repair industry for a number of years and yes, they do work! However, some surface scratches can show up as cracks, it some times takes a trained eye to tell the difference.

David, as usual I'm probably thinking of something else, the stuff we used was poured/dusted on the item and a magnet passed over, cracks would show as a line, don't remember name.
The mind sometime works slowly, after thinking about it, I remember Hot Rod magazines TV show had the stuff in a kit form
they showed how it worked, seemed like pretty good stuff.

[This message has been edited by bear (edited 01-06-99).]

As a followup on my earlier posting, I'd like to offer that my only exposure to magnafluxing was at several gun factories; it is generally done under ultraviolet light.

Gentlemen, Magna-Flux is a trade name for a Dye penetrant Non-destructive testing method. You clean-then apply a florescent (used with ultraviolet light) or a bright colored dye. - let it sink in if there is a crack. - remove dye and apply a "developer " powder.

The magnet stuff is a test method called Mag particle. The powder is Iron. a magnetic field is applied, then iron powder applied. blow away powder with a light air bul, if some remains it is because of a local polarization from the crack.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back