MagLite lamps (bulbs) new type, brightest available

Walt Welch

I am placing an order with Carley Lamps, the company that makes MagLite lamps (I don't know why they don't call them bulbs). If you have a MagLite in which you use alkaline batteries, you should get some of the new xenon lamps.

Here's why: they are brighter, and the brightness comes from being more efficient; this means that battery life is hardly affected. Brightness increases in 3 D cell configuration from 2.7 spherical candlepower (sc) with krypton lamp, to 4.3 sc. in xenon. The 4 D cell goes from 4.6 sc in krypton to 6.8 sc in xenon. This is nearly a 50% increase! Amperage increases from 0.7 to 0.79 from krypton to xenon, so the battery life should be largely unaffected.

See below in the flashlight carry thread about the NiCd set up. This will give you the brightest light, but is dramatically lower in battery life; only about 90 min. You do, however, get 12 sc. in the 4 cell version, and this is as bright as the Sur-fire or other Li systems against which I have compared it.

Since there is a $50 minimum order with Carley, and the quantity price break is over 10 lamps of one type, I should be able to pass on savings to posters.

Let me know quickly how many cells, and of which type (alk vs. NiCd) you are using, and I will get some. There is, of course, no obligation, but the order goes out Monday or Tuesday. Keep bright and safe, Walt

Walt,put me down for (4) bulbs for the 3 d cell akl. type.
Any word on cost per bulb?
Also do they have any enhanced bulbs for the double A maglites?

------------------
Justice for one,Justice for all.

[This message has been edited by Flyerm14 (edited 01-16-99).]

[This message has been edited by Flyerm14 (edited 01-17-99).]

Flyer; you have got them. Cost is going to be about $4 for the xenon and $3.50 for the krypton. Plus shipping to you.

If the rest of interested posters could e-mail me directly, it would save me some time. Also, of course, I need your snail mail addy to mail them to you.

Xenon lamps are for C and D cell batteries only for now, not AA or AAA.

Also, if you are using, say, a 3 C cell NiCd set up instead of a 3 D cell NiCd set up, the light will NOT be as bright. The lamp is a reactive load, and voltage will not be maintained as high with C as with D cells.

I don't believe this to be as much a problem with Alkaline cells, as the amperage of the lamp is much lower.

Get some lamps, guys, I only order from Carley every 2 or 3 years. Walt

Walt

Are you sure that they are xenon? I called maglite about a month ago and talked to them about it. They said that they and a new bulb out, the Magnum star I think, but it wasn't Xeon. It was supposed to be 15% brighter. I don't know exactly how much brighter it was, but I definately is brighter. the rep told me that I could get them at any Home depot. My maglite is a 5 cell.

Also, keep in mind that the bulbs are marked for specify flashlights 3,4,5,6 cell D&C, so make sure that walt know what you have.

I quit carrying a MagLite 2-AA flashlight at work because:

The little SOB kept getting activated in my tookbag - killing the batteries

Having to go from "off" and re-adjust to "tight focus" got old

Even a relatively light impact or drop would murder the bulbs

The head/switch assembly seems to wear-out too fast and develops the "blinkies" (on & off) as light is moved about

I now carry a Garrity rubberized 2-AA with a more conventional bulb (still pretty bright). It has a base-located, rubber-covered clicker-switch and fixed-focus. I've dropped it from 6 foot ladders onto tile floors without damage or loss of bulb. Works for me!

Back