magazines

Status
Not open for further replies.

DAODoc

Inactive
How often should magazines be changed? What do people who carry autos every day do? Will the springs wear out?

I have a LEF friend that uses six (or more, not sure) mags. He carries three on duty, and rotates one out each month.

------------------
As to marksmanship, it is not what you once did, rather it is what you can do on demand.

The main reason to replace a magazine (i.e. buy a new one) is because you are having problems with it, i.e. failure to feed, jams, etc... Some people rotate their magazines so that wear is more even and one magazine doesn't get worn out from heavy use. Springs (if designed properly) will not wear out from being compressed (if not overcompressed). Unloading and loading (cycling) is what wears out a spring.

I spend almost as much on magazines as I do the original gun. I not only have several for carry (at least three) but also have two sets to rotate and train with. I also have a forth set for Dry Practice.

I do not rotate sets on purpose but it seems to happen about every month as I do extensive training at least monthly (1,000-2,000 rounds).

More important than the quantity of course is the quality. Everyone should carry at least one spare magazine and it is a good idea to have at least one back-up in case one of the two you use malfunctions.
2 is 1,1 is none...

Best Regards.....
"Train to Defend, Train to Survive, Train to Win"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back