Magazines, the ones you read...

Shadow9mm

Hey, I am thinking about getting some magazine subscriptions again, its been a few years. I had the NRA one for a while, and Guns and Ammo.

My interests are perspectives are a bit different then they were years back and I am kind of put off by the "everything is amazing" promotional attitude I seem to find in many publications and online vids.

Currently my interests are leaning towards semi auto pistols, semi auto and bolt rifles, and reloading.

What are some magazines with some good content, not just sales pitches, that I should spend my hard earned dollars on?

I agree. Much better information on this forum than current gun magazines.
That being said, I LOVE reading vintage gun mags, 20's through mid 90's. Flea markets, gun shows, etc., I'm always looking for old firearms / traditional bowhunting periodicals.

American Handgunner is pretty good. I think it's the one I enjoy reading the most.

There's a lot of good information on the internet, including on this forum, but its worthwhile to keep in mind that some of it is derived from published material.

On a different, but related note, I used to marvel at how often I answered questions posted here by quoting from the owners manual of the gun in question--a resource that most people get free with their purchase. We could say that online forums have reduced the need for owners manuals since people can just ask questions here and get quick answers, but some of those answers come from people who have read owners manuals!

At one time I subscribed to several gun magazines. Then they were of less and less content, more and more advertising both subtle (gun tests, new model reviews), and overt. It occurred to me that I was paying them to read their advertising. I also noted that Walmart (or was it Meijer's) would send me a guns/hunting magazine each year with just as much content as the "Guns and Ammo", "Shooting Times", et. al., free of charge.

So I would write on the renewal cards: "In as much as you are being paid by your advertisers and that the majority of your magazine is but advertising, I will no longer pay to read advertising. I will however continue to read your "magazine" cum advertisement vehicle if you send it to me for free. Let me know."

When I stopped subscribing, they would send me offers at greatly reduced prices, but as I mentioned, I do not pay (any price) to read advertising.

yes I know forums are better than magazines. With that said I bought a magazine in store today and i really enjoyed reading it. A 1yr subscription to a couple magazines is cheap enough and I though sitting down to read a magazine again would be nice.

Firearms News (f/k/a Shotgun News) would be my choice, if I had but one gunzine subscription.
Each issue usually has a gun review or three, a history lesson, a how-to, and, of course the large catalog section.

Back