Magazine Storage - Containers

BarryLee

Ok, I realize there are lots of options, but still curious how you folks store your magazines. I have a good problem in that I own a number of magazines for a number of different guns and would love a better way to store them. Currently they are all strewn between ammo cans, cardboard boxes and range bags. Inevitably I end up at the range and realize I'm missing some magazines.

After three decades of stock piling magazines... I think I finally solved this problem a handful of years back-- it's the single leve clear fishing lure/tackle boxes. These are only a few bucks each, the slots inside are easily and reliably configurable, the boxes stack safely and conveniently on top of each other and you can really fill 'em up, buy more, stack more, label the ends and then easily slide out whichever box you need.

I really need to shoot some pictures.

If there is a better way to handle, organize and swiftly access dozens of similar but different magazines, I haven't found it.

I use these for pistol mags only... big gangly rifle mags are too large.

Clear shoe box sized plastic boxes with lids that stack work well also, especially for ones like AR mags

My extra pistol mags are stored in the ammo cans for that caliber. For each caliber I typically have a can setup for each: Handloads, Range Factory FMJ, Hollow Point. I put trashy but useable mags in Handloads can because that is what I shoot most often. I put 4 of my best mags for each pistol model in the HP can. All other “nice” mags go in the Factory Range can for that caliber.

Each .50 ammo can will hold close to 1,000 rds. Very little space left in the Handloads can when I have reloaded a batch, and fair amount in the other two for maybe 10-12 mags each.

All of my .22LR mags are in one large MTM sport box. All AK mags are in a large plastic tub. Maybe 60 or so AR mags are loaded and stored in their respective cans (Factory Range, Target HP, SP, Handload Range); I don’t store loose ammo except for a deep reserve can and a test loads can. I think about 15-17 AR mags fit per can (450-500 rds). Another 80 empty mags are stored in a large plastic tub.

Likewise, Garand clips are loaded up in the Range cans, and empty clips fill up their own can (boxed ammo in the Target and SP cans).

I have several of the midway pouches, for both pistol and AR mags. they stack up nicely or hang up easily. There is velcro on the outside so you can put a patch on it for identification if you desire.

I use a side chest* I picked up at Harbor Freight on sale. Bottom two drawers are for AR mags, uppers are all pistol mags.

u0Sqk1o.jpg

* Designed to hang on the side of a roll-around tool chest.

I use three sizes of small plastic boxes that I purchased at a Dollar Store type retail establishment for $1 each. Small boxes hold shorter mags such as .22lr to 10 round 9mm, medium hold large capacity mags such as 20 round 9mm and large boxes for AR type rifle mags. Each box is labeled with the appropriate firearm.

I did this after sorting through a large collection for a recent widow who had no idea how the jumble of mags related to her husbands gun collection. Sometimes it's hard to tell which mag belongs to what gun. My wife will not have that problem when I croak. I also keep a book containing pictures, purchase info and values of my collection. Seems prudent to protect her this way as the collection has a significant monitary value.

Last edited:
I solved my magazine storage fiasco when a cigar smoking friend offered me his wooden Artero Fuente boxes. Great cigar, and a great box! I have a dozen of them for the mags, keeps 'em sorted, and I've labeled the boxes with a Dyna White label machine. Each gun, BTW, is stored in the main safe with a magazine inserted in the grip...the spares go in the cigar boxes.

BTW, I used to keep the spares loose in a cpl of USAF mechanics canvas bags, but got tired of sorting through nearly a hundred to find the ones I needed.

HTH's Rod

I use the MTM Concealed Carry boxes, that have a tray in the top. So far, I have three of them, one for .45, 9mm and .38 Super, each marked accordingly.

Back