Magazine spring in a Rossi .357 20in carbine

ELMOUSMC

I got a great deal on a Rossi 92 in .357/.38 20in carbine NIB $435-it will hold 10 +1 but it is a real fight to get the last 3 rounds in the magazine.Can I cut a bit of the follower spring off and if I do will I run into a chambering issue with the last couple of rounds-I have worn out 2 thumbs and a forefinger so I have to do something:eek:
ELMO

Well, the spring on my Mossberg 590A1 got substantially easier to load or unload after it was left loaded for an extended period of time.

I am aware of the studies that say that springs do not wear out from compression, after they take their initial set. I believe leaving it loaded may help it take an initial set.

In addition, but those studies assume the spring is not deformed beyond its design limits. If any spring in a gun is at or past it's design limit, it is a tube mag spring.

Bottom line, it may not do anything, but it sure can't hurt. Clipping a couple of coils off can hurt. I would try the no harm option first.

If you do clip the spring I would recommend buying a second one in advance. Its not as big of a deal to mess up a spring when the second one is right there.

Rossi

I have a short wooden dowel I use when loading the Mag. It gives a bit more leverage and saves wear and tear on the fingers. I would not cut the spring.

If the gun is new then it is probably like any other mag spring and will loosen with use. I'm with the majority don't cut the spring, atleast not until you have a second.

Back