Magazine spring durability

bspillman

I just got a maverick 88 8 shot 12 gauge pump to leave next to the bed. I think it's useless to buy it for home defense and not keep it loaded. I have been practicing using it in the "cruiser ready" with muzzle down. My fear is that if I leave this loaded up for long periods of time the mag spring will not function as intended. I was wondering does anyone have any maintenance tricks to share that would lengthen the life of the mag spring?

The spring experts say that a compressed spring will not suffer nearly as much as one that is cycled a lot.
But it probably depends on the quality of the spring, too.
Maybe installing a new, high quality one would be a good idea.

I am not a member of the spring changers guild. In over 50 years I have never had a spring problem, or replaced any coil springs on any my shotguns. I have replaced rusted or mangled springs on other's guns, and a few broken firing pin springs. This is a HIGHLY overthought subject, capitalized on by spring manufacturers.
I have replaced springs in all of my revolvers; not to increase reliability but to improve the triggers. (Yes, I have tested them all rigorously.) I will say Wolff is an excellent company to deal with.

Springs are weakened by "work". Work is defined as compression and relaxation of the spring. If you practice a lot by working the pump action, you are working the spring. Leaving it sit does not affect it as much as working it.

"I am not a member of the spring changers guild."

Thats funny right there, LOL. Anyway, I have the same weapon and I also keep it loaded and after doing exhaustive internet "research" I concluded what these gentlemen have said. Work is what wears out the spring, not compression. Your plastic shells may slightly deform somewhat after a very extended period of time, but would in all likely hood, still function just fine.

I left a Mossberg 8-shot loaded for about 30 years. The magazine spring is a bit weaker now, but it still functions.

And just to horrify some folks- the ammo in that tube was the same ammo for most of those 30 years. No deformation.

Back