Magazine Replacements for Mauser 98 action???

Larz

I have a rifle chambered in 300 win mag. It is built on a Mauser 98 action. I have to use it one shot at a time right now because the magazine won't feed more than one round correctly. The first round will strip off and when I eject the first case the rounds in the magazine pop out in the way of the bolt. Is there a quick fix for this. Or is there somewhere I can buy a replacement magazine. Or is a long Mauser 98 action not compatible with 300 win mag cases. Please Help. Oh it may also have to do with the feed lips not being correctly altered. I bought this rifle at a gun show. love how it shoots but the rounds just won't feed correctly. Thanks, Larz

Larz, sounds like someone just rebarreled the rifle and stopped. You need to have the feed rails opened up. Also your mag box should be long enough for the round but it might not hurt to have lengthening it looked at. Your local smith should be able to take care of this for you. If you don't have anyone near you feel free to e-mail me. I'd be happy to do the work. George

Larz, it's early so forgive me but by "pop out in front of the bolt" do you mean that the rails don't hold the rounds in place? If that's the case the rails may have been opened up too far already. Still, I'd have a smith look at it. George

The action I have is the Long 98 action. So I don't think there is any problem with the box being long enough. It may be that they did open the feed rails a little too wide though. The rounds stay down in the box just fine. The top round strips off and is chambered just fine as well. But when I eject the spent case the rounds in the magazine pop out into the bolt path without being striped off by the bolt. Is this an expensive job for the smith to do. I have a smith around here but I don't like parting with my rifle for a couple of weeks. Probably not an adjustment I can make huh? Larz

George,when Larz posted this over in 'the rifle' My guess was just what you described--feed rails opened too much.

I've heard of this problem before, but I can't recall if I ever heard of the 'fix' for this problem....weld-up and re-cut the rails seems like the only possibility; what a chore that would have to be! Is there some easier method? Just curious.

Back