Magazine protection, pocket carry.

Mike38

What do you guys / gals use to protect the finish of a magazine that is being pocket carried? I pocket carry a Kel-Tec P32 in my right front pocket. A spare magazine in my left front pocket. Problem is I also carry coins in my left front pocket and may accelerate wear on the mag body or mag lips. The thought of a thin and light weight sleeve over the mag popped into my cranium, but then a side thought of forgetting the mag is covered during the heat of the moment in a self defense situation could be a problem. I don't want to use a belt clip mag holder, a visible mag is a sign I'm carrying. Any thoughts? Am I over thinking?

What do you guys / gals use to protect the finish of a magazine that is being pocket carried? I pocket carry a Kel-Tec P32 in my right front pocket. A spare magazine in my left front pocket. Problem is I also carry coins in my left front pocket and may accelerate wear on the mag body or mag lips. The thought of a thin and light weight sleeve over the mag popped into my cranium, but then a side thought of forgetting the mag is covered during the heat of the moment in a self defense situation could be a problem. I don't want to use a belt clip mag holder, a visible mag is a sign I'm carrying. Any thoughts? Am I over thinking?

magazines that get used are going to get scuffed up. Accept it.

Try the DeSantis pocket magzine carrier. ("Magpacker"?)

I carry a spare mag in the front left pocket. It is in with a phone, keys, and sometimes change. It needs cleaning and and a wipe down with a lightly oiled paper towel about once a month to get rid of pocket lint and prevent surface rust, Been carrying that way for years. never had an issue.

If you're going to put a magazine in your pocket, it needs to be the ONLY thing in the pocket.

No coins, keys, knives. You don't want to grab for your mag and get something else instead. Or get something else in addition to the magazine and have to fumble around to drop what you don't want while keeping what you do want. You don't want anything damaging the magazine or the ammunition.

No lint or other pocket dirt. Clean the lint out of your pocket before you put a magazine in there. You don't want a chunk of pocket lint getting into the magazine and potentially causing function issues.

I suppose that putting the magazine in its own container inside the pocket solves some of those problems but also incurs a significant penalty in terms of ease access.

It's not that likely that you'll need a spare magazine, but if you do, you will want it to work and you will want to be able to access it easily and rapidly.

The key here is to think about WHY you are carrying the magazine. If it's just to have a nice warm fuzzy, then it really doesn't matter. If it's to provide a means of dealing with a magazine related stoppage, or to provide the opportunity to reload in the middle of a self-defense encounter, then rapidity of access is critical and putting it in a pocket in a separate container probably doesn't make sense. If it's to provide the opportunity to reload with a full mag after a self-defense shooting, then ease of access isn't a big deal but you do still want the mag to be functional so maybe a separate container makes sense.

Mike38 said:
I don't want to use a belt clip mag holder, a visible mag is a sign I'm carrying.

Do you mention this because you're normally tucking in your shirt? The clips by themselves can be pretty discrete if against a belt of the same color, and if you wear a shirt that goes passed your waist no one will see it.

Ammo Armor.
1653e7ea51f0bb39ad886dd19aaab48a.jpg

Ammo Armor.
1653e7ea51f0bb39ad886dd19aaab48a.jpg
So, does that stick to the pocket or did you just make it so your spare mag requires two hands to access?

I'm with JohnKSa if I've got a mag in the pocket, it's the only thing and usually has a Neomag holding it place to keep it easily available, everything else goes in my other pockets. Can't say I've carried coins in my pocket in many years, other than to accept change until I hand it to one of my kids for their piggy banks (after chores).

Most of my carry guns have stainless steel magazines, so I don't worry much about finish wear. For the others, I just put them in pockets without anything abrasive in them so that the finish doesn't get worn.

Something like a Neomag, Desantis Mag-packer, or an IWB tuckable mag holster would work.

I also DO NOT recommend having life-saving items floating around with random other daily items in your pockets. I've done one or two pocket dumps looking for a mag at the range. I wouldn't want that if my opponent wasn't a piece of paper at 7yds!

Use a pocket organizer. Not only will the right pocket organizer protect a magazine and fix its orientation in the pocket, it can also let stow a pen, flashlight, or other item alongside it.

My dad used to pocket carry with coins. Until a coin lodged itself in the magazine. However it's carried, I think it's paramount that the magazine stay clean and the top round doesn't partially work its way out.

Back