Magazine Extension After Effects???

Guyon

I've searched here on TFL but haven't been able to come up with an answer to this question.

If I remove the dimples in my existing tube and install a magazine extension on my 870, how will the magazine function later if I want to take the extension off? I will have two barrels, so if I need to switch to the 28 inch barrel and put in the magazine plug for hunting, will the remove of those dimples have any adverse effect on the operation of the shotgun?

Just curious...

------------------
Guyon
NRA, GOA, & TFA Member
Vote for your rights!!!

Not having a Rem with dimlples (all mine are earlier guns) I can't say from experience but you will not have any problems when you switch back. The dimples don't serve any purpose in the function of the gun and the function of the gun will not be changed when they are removed.

I briefly thought about this when I put a mag extension on my 11-87. They best and most economical way to stay within the law when on a hunt that requires restricted mag capacity that I could think of is to just use a longer mag plug. Although I haven't tried it myself, how about a 3/8" dowl or metal rod cut to the proper length inserted in the magazine (behind the follower)? Maybe a good idea to round the edges so that they don't get caught on the spring winding.

------------------
- Ron V.

Oh, Intel6,

The dimples are there to retain the plastic insert that provide a ratcheting surface forthe mag cap so that it will stay in place and not unscrew. (IIRC. Its been a few months since I examined that and I don't have my 11-87 with me right now.

------------------
- Ron V.

I have 4 870's I just messed around and removed the dimples that restrict the mag capacity on the only one I had that had them. I also removed the saftey and installed a non keying scattergun tech jumbo head as well as their mag tube extension (the best one made)

It will not effect anything when you put the other barrel back on and take the mag extension off. it will function fine. Go slow when you remove them so you don't remove to much and you end up with to hole in your tube (although that wouldn't effect function. I used a file, I was going to use a dremel but I didn't want it to get out of hand, the only consideration other than that is make sure you take measures to prevent it from rusting in there.

Ajacobs

hkgigwalther,

You are right, I forgot about that . As I said, I don't own one that has the dimples and forgot that they serve that purpose, good call.

Back