Mag tube extension installation Q.

Spirex288

I just drilled the dimples out of my 870 HD. I'm about to put it back together. I am just wondering if I need to put the slotted spring retainer back in the tube extension.
I have a Scattergun Tech. +2 extension. The whole assembly works fine without the retainer. Do I need it???

What you're talking about is the little thing that looks like a metal donut with one bite taken out, right? It fits into the tube and keeps the spring from flying out when the nut is removed.

If that's the part, you don't need or want it with the extension.

I just installed a Scattergun extension too.

Why don't they supply a clamp? The unit seems strong enough, but I'm curious as to why they don't include one.

Also, does anyone know if they sell the sling attachment seperately? Bought my extension from the LGS, which didn't stock the "extras".

Regards,
--
Brian

brionic,
Try the source itself. www.wilsoncombat.com

The installation went without a hitch. The only MINOR problem was the follower. I had to ever so slightly sand the outside so it could move freely in the tube. Now I need to go function test it.

Brionic, the answer is marketing. W/o the clamp, it can be retailed for less, and then you buy the clamp,swivel setup,etc. Options and addons make more money than the tube here, IMO.

Spinex,I'd polish that follower, and maybe the inside of the mag tube. Relube,and see how it feeds....

OK, I followed up with Wilson/SGT. They do NOT offer the magazine/barrel clamp because their product is "so stiff it doesn't need a clamp". Sounds like a cue for Brownell's...

Sling attachments are $10 from Wilson.

Regards,
--
Brian

I bought the TacStar(?) clamp for ~$5 from Brownell's. Clark sells a ~$35 version that is weighted. The TacStar has a swivel nut built in, which I could do w/o, but I'm sure one could find an equal diameter machine screw, cut it to length if necessary, and cold blue it (Oxopho-blue preferred).

My Tube is Wilson/scattergun, and they sell one about $5 cheaper w/o the sling attachment. I have it. I put a tiny piece of felt in between it and the barrel. from pressure/support. This is now countertensioned with the TS clamp.

If you all mean what I think you do by "clamp," I'd find a product that doesn't need one of those half-eight shaped goodies. At best, it represents a temptation to tighten the thing down and warp/distort the barrel. If Wilson says theirs doesn't need it, great. The Vang one is the same -- avoid the Remington (or any others) that do need a clamp.

J, here's something for you to think about. I learned at an instructor's school that clamping the bbl to the extended tube can act as an aid to accuracy, in effect stiffening the bbl.

The two 870s here with extendions and clamps shoot into 2 1/2" at 50 yards or less, using peep sights.

One does have to avoid overtightening, but that's no biggie....

<munch munch munch> <-- sound of eating my words? <g>

Still, I have seen Mossberg barrels ringed by overtightening of the front band/clamp that secures the ventilated handguard, which sometimes shoots loose. That's a very thin band, however, compared to the mag extension clamps I've seen, I must admit!

I put a Vang extension on my 870. It has no clamp and is extremely sturdy -- probably more sturdy than the factory mag tube, even considering it's more exposed location ahead.

As a semi-related point, I see that Brownells is now selling SS and red ano'd aluminum followers for the 870. Kinda pricey, about $20 IIRC, but tempting for those of us who abhor plastic parts?

The mag extension discussion leads to a question...Dave, you have probably seen SGs exposed to more abuse than most of us...have you ever seen mag tubes or mag extensions bent or dented? (I have another hard-use question that I'll post separately.)

[This message has been edited by JNewell (edited June 15, 2000).]

Bon Appetit, J(G)!

One 870 with a tube dent, source unknown. Took it out by stripping the weapon, vising the receiver,and tapping a broomhandle down until the dent was "popped" out. Functioned fine, tho the dent was still slightly visible.

Note, do not try at home, a smith friend turned pale at the thought.

Also, have seen bbls bent. That gets tricky, even tho some smiths will correct POI glitches by some gentle bending.Rebending is a job best done by experienced pros...

Also, plastic parts may have utility in shotguns, but geezers like me prefer steel.

'sOK, I get plenty of practice. <g>

I agree re: steel parts -- but I think just about everyone's shotguns have been coming with plastic followers for yeeeears?

Note for those with the "low cap" Remingtons: Brownell's catalog says that these followers are slotted to get past the dimples -- no more drilling/Dremeling.

For those interested, the Al follower is 080-000-004 and the cost is $10.95, not $20. Just ordered one. <g>

All my 870s except the 20 are not new, ranging from bought used in 1956 to quite used in 93 or so,so they fall into the metal parts era, I guess.

First plastic follower I ever saw was on a High Standard shotgun, a classic cost cutter and a weapon only briefly in Casa McC,even tho it was a gift.

Back