Mag-na-port a AR-15

Bushwhacker

Well I've been kicking myself latly.
I got one of those AR-15 barrel compensators from the gun show and put the piece of junk on myself,has four set screws which you have to drill a dimple in the barrel to keep the comp from flying off the barrel.
Now, barrel end looks like #$@%
frown.gif
and don't want to buy another barrel ( only about 500 rounds)so can I have the barrel mag-na-ported? would it be practical and worth it,can't have the end cut off it's 16 inches already.

------------------
Tiro per divertimento, tiro per la sopravvivenza

I would suggest picking up a muzzle brake from Bushmaster and having a competent gunsmith pin and weld it on for you. If needed he could cut the barrell down to 14.5 " and install the brake to make it a legal 16".

If anyone ask about the dimples tell them they are "notches", ala the old gunfighters grips notches.
smile.gif

------------------
Gunslinger

We live in a time in which attitudes and deeds once respected as courageous and honorable are now scorned as being antiquated and subversive.

American Gunsmith Magazine had an article about Do it yourself magnaporting. I'll see if I can find which issue and the address. Methinks its $5 or $6 per backissue (unless it's short and I have the time to type it in at the Gunsmith forum.

------------------
Vigilantibus et non dormientibus jura subveniunt

I wouldn't. Just throwing good money after bad. In seni-auto mod, I never considered recoil a big problem with a 5.56 in a rifle. My AK74(which shoot the commie rip-off of the NATO round) is a real pussycat. A break is just going to make an already loud round even louder. I'd think that any tool marks you mave have put into the barrel could be cleaned up to a reasonable degree by some youd does refinishing. Even if the dimples are too deep to be removed, once the surface scratches are removed and refinished, no one will notice.

BTW, stay away from gun shows. I hate to tell you all the after market junk I wasted my money on at gunshows. Anyone want a verticle pistol pump grip for a Mossberg 500? :-)

JT enterprise will magnaport your bull barrel for about $125 I think? Maybe its $150? I know its under $200 bucks though... looks really cool. Check out their website.

Mark

Back