mag losing capacity

Willie Lowman

I shot a USPSA match yesterday. I number my mags so I can know if any give me a problem and witch it is. Well my number 1 mag of the 3 that came with the gun would only hold 19 rounds while the other two took the full 20. Every time before all 3 mags held 20 rounds but yesteday I could only get 19 into number 1. The mags are factory CZ TS2 mags. I have not modified them in any way.

I was using a mag loader and with 19 rounds in it I could press the stack down but just not quite enough to get the last round in.

I haven't had time to take it apart yet. I will strip the mag this weekend when I have plenty of free time.

Anyone know what I should look for when I get it apart? What would cause a magazine to not be loaded to full capacity? I am puzzled because at last month's match it too the full 20 rounds without problem.

There is something in the magazine preventing the follower from dropping all the way. Strip and clean, bet that will fix the issue. If not, call CZ for a replacement.

Well I took the mag apart. There wasn't anything in it aside from spring and follower.

I tried loading it with PPU (I had been using PMC before) and got the full 20 rounds in. But only with great effort. The rounds were so tight that the mag would not seat in the gun with the slide closed.

The spring could just have been bound up? Did you feel any nicks or rough spots inside the mag body when you cleaned it?

I've never shot a USPSA match. Not sure I've even seen one. But do you guys drop your empty mags? As in drop them onto the ground? That could leave a dent in the mag body?

Heck, sometimes we drop them full, or more usually partly loaded. Reloads are normally made while you are changing position and don't have anything to shoot at.

Heck, sometimes we drop them full, or more usually partly loaded. Reloads are normally made while you are changing position and don't have anything to shoot at.

Then it could have a small dent in the mag body, or a grain of sand imbedded in the follower? When I do accidently drop a magazine, which is very rare, I cringe. Magazines for my European target pistols cost over $100 each, for a five rounder.

Did you correct the issue?
If not, I would pull the follower out and trim the bottom legs a bit shorter. Followers are cheap like 3 bucks.

Last edited:
I have just tried 3 different brands of ammunition. With Federal I was able to get the full 20 rounds. With PPU I got 20. With PMC I could only get 19. All of these are brass cased.

The spring can't be put in backwards as it is attached to the follower. I can't reassemble the magazine with the follower in backward. I would have to bend the spring to get the follower off.

And yes the mags are dropped. The CZ TS2 is designed for use in limited division USPSA. Dropping mags is part of the game.

Last edited:
That is unfortunate, the range here runs a lot of 20 round Medium Courses, having gotten away from Long Courses in the Panicdemic Ammo Shortage. A 19 shot magazine would be a handicap.

Back