Mag followers ar-15 ?

KEYBEAR

I bought a 10 pack of MagPul Followers to replace some in 30 round Mags .
Kind of like the new Followers but I did read that they will not work in 20 round Mags . Question why not using the same spring ?

kb,

I had a few new Brownell's aluminum mags that were having feeding problems in my LMT AR. Pmags and Lancers worked fine. While I've read that the Magpul followers won't work in a 20 rounder I thought I'd experiment. I cut off some of the front leg of the follower so when bottomed out the follower would still be horizontal in the mag. The non-feeding mags worked fine with the Magpul follower. The only problem is that the 20 round mags would only fit 18 rounds as the Magpul follower was taller than the OEM one. It was no problem to me as I usually download 1-2 rounds so the mag seats easier on a closed bolt.

So do some experimenting and see what works.

best wishes- oldandslow

"why not use the same spring?"

Springs are a wear part too. I reused the original springs when I upgraded some black and green milspec followers to Magpul, and they've worked fine. If a magazine has feeding trouble with good feed lips and a good follower, replacing the spring seems like the next part to replace.

As far as the different springs for 20 and 30 round magazines, the 20 round mag is shorter. You can cut a few coils off a 30 round spring then bend to fit if you need to make one work.

As previously mentioned, you can modify a Magpul follower to work in a 20 round magazine.

Jimro

Thanks I Think I will change out one and see how it works . I have an old Colt I bought years ago SP-1 . I have not shot the gun in a long time and need to play with it some .

Back