Mag Extension for Benelli M1 Super 90

semo

Inactive
Yes I realize that this is not a common sense gun but I traded an extra rifle and some cash for a Benelli Super 90 with the pistol grip, ghost ring sites and 18.5" barrel. What are the legal problems of adding a 4 shot mag extension to the post ban shotgun? Thanks for your help in advance.

It would be fine only if the pistol grip stock is not installed with the 4 round extension.

I think it is a felony to have both items installed.

Well, if it's a pre-ban gun (under the 1994 AWB) then you can add the magazine extension. If not a pre-ban gun, then you cannot add the magazine extension without pulling the pistol grip stock (and presumably replacing it with a standard stock).

I wouldn't say that a Benelli is not a "common sense" gun. I think Dave was referring more to the IPSC race-type shotguns .

Your local and/or state law may be more restrictive than the above.

Not a legal opinion or legal advice.

Justin

------------------
Justin T. Huang, Esq.
late of Kennett Square, Pennsylvania

Semo,

I have a M1 super 90 with the mag extension(holds 7 rounds + 1 in the chamber). First thing I would do is get rid of the pistol grip and put a regular stock on it. This weapon has quite a KICK to it when you are putting 3" ammo thru it. I would not want to shot it using just the pistol grip.
Mel <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by semo:
Yes I realize that this is not a common sense gun but I traded an extra rifle and some cash for a Benelli Super 90 with the pistol grip, ghost ring sites and 18.5" barrel. What are the legal problems of adding a 4 shot mag extension to the post ban shotgun? Thanks for your help in advance.[/quote]

------------------

Best price for Benelli extensions I've found are at Long Island Shooting Center:

80155 4 Shot Extension Kit - Matte 49.95
80087 2 Shot Extension Kit - Matte 49.95
60158 Stock Drop Assembly Kit 14.95

Steve
Long Island Shooting Center
130 Freeman Avenue
Islip, NY 11751
Phone 631-665-7011
Fax 631-665-7002 http://www.lisc.net
email@lisc.net

Is there any way of determining whether or not I have a pre-ban or post-ban M1 Super 90? I honestly can't remember the exact year I bought it but it was at least 6 or 7 years ago, maybe longer. Any way to tell from the serial #?

Bill

Forgive me for my ignorance...I sold my Benelli long ago in favor of other weapons, but why does it matter whether it's a preban or postban Benelli with or without the extended tube and with or without the pistol grip? The magazine capacity is still less than 10 and it's not an "assault rifle" with bayonet lug and pistol grip or anything like that. Since I've rejected shotguns in favor of better weapons, have I missed something that's happened? Why should a shotgun be treated differently than an "assault rifle"?

hdm25- these shotguns fall under their own definition/category in the crme bill. If I knew how to place a link in this post, I would for you to read. Maybe someone else could do it. You need to read the part about shotguns to understand. Your general rule you mentioned is not accurate for shotguns.

This same question was asked some time ago, maybe even by me. I got a Benellie M1 Super90 postban with a PG stock. Our local gun shop had a good deal on the mag extensions, so I bought one, without thinking about that stupid law. I thought if I could permanently install a two-shell limiter, I'd be safe. So I called the BATF to ask if that would be legal. I got transferred several times up the chain of command until I was talking to someone in Washington. Send us a letter telling us your plans, he said, and we'll tell you if it's legal. A letter? I don't think so. I'll just stick with the five round tube and use the extension as a pencil holder. But it still begs the question: why is a semiauto with a pistol grip and a seven round tube more dangerous than a semiauto with a seven round tube and a straight stock? And why is a semiauto with a PG stock and a five shell tube ok? You could go nuts trying to answer questions like that.

Dick
Want to send a message to Bush? Sign the petition at http://www.petitiononline.com/monk/petition.html and forward the link to every gun owner you know.

Logic?

IF you jump up and down in a rain storm on a sunday before sundown on one leg while singing "stangers in the night" at least once a month its legal to put on. If you have no rain you gotta call janet and make other arrangements. :)

Shot both with and without didnt notice much recoil differences. I have regular on mine and a buddy has pg on his pre ban. If you ever have to shoot from the hip the pg makes it much easier IMO. Not hat you should be hip shooting but for what its worth.

As to common sense if you ever want to get rid of that benelli i gotta 870 that I can part with. I would trade all my rems for benellis, cant say how much I love the simplicity of the action, not to mention the speed the thing can cycle at it almost sings when you get it up and running full speed.

Did you see that guy on American Shooter take out 9 clay birds in a string, pretty impessive!

Back